Albany, NY getting a hydrogen storage/filling station.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
What is old is new again. My former employer, Distributed Energy built hydrogen energy stations 15 years ago. They installed a couple of hydrogen stations . it was a different division of the company. They used a Proton Exchange Module (PEM) basically a fuel cell run backwards to generate the hydrogen instead of electrolysis. The power source was a solar array. People forget that there was "hydrogen revolution about 20 years ago where Wall Street went wild on hydrogen stocks. Pratt and Whitney took old space program technology fuel cell and spun it off.

Last edited:
"According to a Cornell spokesman, the location is intended to be downtown, in the vicinity of the National Grid location near the I-90 / I-787 exchange, though final site selection is still pending. "

Isn't that near NG's propane storage? Oh, and Hoffman's Playland's new location at Huck Finn's? And residents complain of the "bomb trains" (oil tank cars). LOL.

I hadn't really thought of it, but at the lower end, it's 9w, The Delmar/Glenmont exit, and right by Huck Finns/Broadway on the top. I think there's an old dump there too. There's a small field with all the white methane vents sticking out. I'm kind of surprised they don't put it at the Albany landfill. Plenty of room for storage and panels for generation.