All Nighter Landlord question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AllNighter122

Sep 20, 2015
CT
We have an All Nighter Mid Moe in our house, and have used it as a primary heat source for the last 15 years. It's a great stove. We are moving and are considering renting our house - but if we did, we would not want the tenants to use the stove due to possible liability issues. We also do not want to remove/get rid of the stove. Does anyone know if there is a way to seal the stove off so that it is not usable, but could be unsealed/used again in the future?

Would it be possible to just unhook it and store it some place so it wouldn't be used?

Remove connector pipe. Cap the stove outlet and use tamperproof screws. Don't loose the tool !! It comes in handy for other things you may want to cover to prevent access.
Of course they could drill out the screws and reconnect, (good tamper proof screws are hardened) but any lock could be cut as well unless you get creative making a steel cover plate for the vent and fashion a lock that would be difficult to cut off. One way is a 2 X 4 across vent outlet across the inside. Attach built up 2 X 4 pieces that fit into pipe until flush with outside of vent outlet. Screw a hasp and latch type lock in the center. Cut a slot in a steel or plywood cover plate for the latch to protrude through and padlock it. Take pictures so if they move the stove and hook up their own, you have proof they weren't authorized to use the chimney. Make sure the lease forbids its use as well.
If your All-Nighter has air circulation tubes, you may be able to open door and connect a bicycle cable lock to the inside of latch. Close door and reach into vent and wrap cable around air tube to prevent door from opening. It would be difficult to get bolt cutters inside the stove to cut the cable. An angle grinder would do it, but locks are for honest people anyway.
I provide my tenants with a coal stove when there's a chimney available. They have electric or central oil heat as well, but like the savings and a warm room. Plus there is no left over wood mess inside or out. No creosote and after proper operating instruction the chimney only runs about 150 to 200*. They heat with 2 tons a year and I remove the connector pipe each year to clean the pipe and reconnect for them in the fall. It gives me a chance to inspect the place too.

Put it in the lease. Make their recovery of security deposit contingent on a full inspection of the fully cleaned by YOU, before they move in, stove and chimney along with pictures.

Bike cable around its entirety preventing door from being opened?

Status
Not open for further replies.