All one needs to know about..........

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MCPO

Minister of Fire
Interesting. I knew it was bad, but I didn't know it was THAT bad.

My question now is, "should I insulate my basement?". it is unfinished, utility/storage space, 8" poured concrete, and unheated, except for whatever leaks out of my furnace and ducts. that is...when I run the furnace, which isn't much. So it gets damn cold down there. I'm wondering if there would ever be any return on the cost of insulating it, in terms of $ or comfort.
fwiw, the ceiling is insulated w/ fiberglass.

cac4 said:
Interesting. I knew it was bad, but I didn't know it was THAT bad.

My question now is, "should I insulate my basement?". it is unfinished, utility/storage space, 8" poured concrete, and unheated, except for whatever leaks out of my furnace and ducts. that is...when I run the furnace, which isn't much. So it gets damn cold down there. I'm wondering if there would ever be any return on the cost of insulating it, in terms of $ or comfort.
fwiw, the ceiling is insulated w/ fiberglass.

Water pipes used for heat and domestic hot water , and heat ducts should be insulated for efficiency regardless of whether the celler is insulated or not .
If you don`t use your cellar there`s no real pressing need to insulate it but it can`t hurt , although once you do insulate you will probably have to be running a dehumidifier in it all summer long. I think the floor is a consideration too when thinking about insulating the walls. It also must suck up heat like a sponge.
My basement is insulated and carpeted thus very easy to heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.