Am I Going To Have A Problem Getting A Chimney Brush Up This Pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

stvigi1960

Jul 18, 2022
Millville, MA
1st year with this stove and just started thinking about what I will need at the end of the season to clean the chimney. The outside is no problem, but inside I only got around 4 inches from the bottom of the pipe to the floor. The install was performed by a chimney sweep company recommended by the Harman dealer who sold me the stove, and inspected and approved by the town Building Inspector. Do they make flexable chimney brushes?
20221231_180839~2.jpg
2022-12-3121.14.431519789255325037970.jpg

Last edited:
1st year with this stove and just started thinking about what I will need at the end of the season to clean the chimney. The outside is no problem, but inside I only got around 4 inches from the bottom of the pipe to the floor. The install was performed by a chimney sweep company recommended by the Harman dealer who sold me the stove, and inspected and approved buythe toens Building Inspector. Do they make flexable chimney brushes?
They make flexible rods that screw on the end of the brush.

I would find that annoying, especially with all the room you have. Take that T off and put on a double T.

How much vertical pipe inside. ? Does it go up then straight out ??

I have that same T and same brush from TSC. With a little encouragement from your fingers, it goes up through the bottom of the T and into the horizontal section into the stove pretty easily. It won’t go through the 90 at the top, you have to come in from outside to clean that section.

Typical set up and easy to clean. Everything accessible

"accessible" is a relative term, especially when getting older. I would have a double T where his 90 is, and the lower T would have the cap with the vacuum attachment. But then, If he only cleans pipe once a year, whatever. Mine will be cleaned 4-5 times.

"accessible" is a relative term, especially when getting older. I would have a double T where his 90 is, and the lower T would have the cap with the vacuum attachment. But then, If he only cleans pipe once a year, whatever. Mine will be cleaned 4-5 times.
Ok, I see what you are saying. I have not seen the "cross" in person. It looks like PelletVent Pro" pipe. I do like the new Tees. They are oring sealed and have a spring loaded push button instead of twist lock. The twist locks get stiff and jammed sometimes with age

Reactions: VintageGal
Ok, I see what you are saying. I have not seen the "cross" in person. It looks like PelletVent Pro" pipe. I do like the new Tees. They are oring sealed and have a spring loaded push button instead of twist lock. The twist locks get stiff and jammed sometimes with age
My twist lock cap would jam at first. Had to remove it with an oil filter wrench. After that I smeared a little high/low temp silicone grease on the twist lock area. Never been stuck since.

The cap on my tee is sealed shut, not impressed with that tee cap from Selkirk, I use just the 4 inch brush with string tied to both ends, from the outside, I toss and drop weighted string down the pipe, grab it with a hook, and pull down thru my vertical section, then go out and pull it the other way..It's a pain but thats how I do it..

Reactions: rickwai