An interesting development in the battery world

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
This tech has been in development now for several years and it is starting to bear fruit. The claims are nothing less than amazing. If they perform as they say and they can be produced at a cost similar to or lower than lithium batteries then indeed they will be a gamechanger.

Nothing too amazing here. I thought a few years back about pairing a tritium beta-light with small chip of PV cell and figured that I could make a micropower supply that would supply for decades, using a few micrograms of T2. The entire device would match Li-ion energy density (integrated over 20 years). So same sort of thing with a few milligrams of C14, yeah, I could see that producing milliwatts for thousands of years.

The nice thing about this that betas are very easily shielded. Just like the Tritium beta-light I have on my keychain.

If it is scalable into industry form factors at a competitive price, then it will be amazing. Cool tech is one thing. Disrupting existing markets with it is another.

OK, after my coffee, I did a calculation about this. While I thought the micropower application was plausible, they also said they would build them into EVs, which seemed a little BS-ey to me.... let's go!

So, I computed the Specific Power of a C14 energy source.

The half life of 5700 years means that 3.83 e -12 of the atoms decay per second. And each releases 156 keV of energy. Converting this to energy per kg I get 4.09 Watts/kg of C14.

If we assume the energy of the beta ray can get converted to electricity at about 25% efficiency (betavoltaic and photovoltaic systems are similar in operation and efficiency limits) this is 1 Watt/kg of useable power.

So that 100 microwatt NDB in the link, would require roughly 100 mg of C14 nanodiamonds and a small silicon betavoltaic converter. While I suspect that this power source could last for decades, if not centuries....I doubt that it would function for anything like the 5700 year half life of the C14. The nanodiamonds would amorphize as their atoms turned to nitrogen, which would also (I'd guess) change their optical properties. The betavoltaic junction would also have a lifespan like a PV panel....it could be engineered to work for centuries perhaps....but I don't know.

As for EVs, well the specific power of Li-ion batteries is several hundred times higher than this. A 400 kg battery in the GM Bolt can easily produce 100 kW, which is 250 W/kg. Replacing the it with 400 kg of C14 would drop its power to 400 W or so.

So, what if we paired a future 200 kg Liion battery with the present energy/power abilities of the Bolt battery, and 200 kg of C14 making 200W. The car would be able to self charge by 24h*0.2 = 5 kWh per day, or 20 miles per day! It could fully charge itself from empty in a week.

But somehow I doubt that in a future of dirt cheap grid delivered renewable energy, this self charging capability would be worth the cost of 200 kg of isotopically separated nuclear waste converted by CVD into nanodiamonds. Really. LOL. What is the cost per kg??

Part 2:

What about our friend, the Tritium atom?

To convert it to a lightweight solid, it would be reacted with Lithium, to make Lithium Tritide, or LT, a soft, grey salt-like solid with low flammability. and a molecular weight of 9. The mean lifetime of Tritium is only 18 years, 400X shorter than C14, while the beta ray has only one tenth the energy, so the specific power should be ~40X higher.

Computing the heat power for 1 kg of LT, I get: 227 W/kg. Again assuming 25% (theoretical) conversion eff I get 56 W/kg!

The decay product is He3, which is non-radioactive and inert, just like N14. It would diffuse out of the LT and could be slowly vented to the atmosphere. If the LT were enclosed by a O2 impermeable membrane, you would be left with lithium metal after the battery was spent, that could be readily recycled. Tritium production is done my neutron bombardment of Lithium, and does not require isotopic separation like C14.

So, my tritium powered bolt with 200 kg of LT and a (future) 200 kg battery with the current energy/power specs, would have 200*56/1000 = 11.3 kW of continuous onboard nuclear electrical power! Which would be enough (just) to cruise at highway speeds, 24/7, without stopping, for a couple decades. LOL. You would probably want to cruise, rather than park it in your garage, bc it would also be dumping 3X that much heat all the time....34 kW. Of course, if you had a Mansion in New England you could keep the place heated in the winter with the extra 116 kBTU/hr. Frugal.

Haha....realistically, 60 mph for 24 hours is 1440 miles per day. Most people would be happy with 200 mi/day self charging, which would only require one seventh the amount, of 30 kg of LT (containing 10 kg of Tritium). This would also cut the standby heat down to a more manageable 5 kW.

Whats the rub? Well the cost is one. The current retail price for Tritium is $30,000/gm (yes, you can buy tritium), meaning that our sweet tritium powered Bolt would cost $300M. While I'm sure that mass production of T would knock a zero or two off that price, I sadly, don't think it would ever be practical.

:(

Reactions: ben94122
geek if your calcs are correct this sounds like a pipe dream. I was hoping for something a bit more powerful. Thanks for penning out the math, it's above my paygrade. Seems like we harnessed nuclear power in a small form decades ago to power the Voyagers, but I guess that was with a less benign atom.

Reactions: SpaceBus
The Voyager space craft used Plutonium-238 Oxide to power their RTG's. I think the department of homeland security would have a little chat with anyone intending to make a battery out of that material.

Yes, I know. Just a little less benign. ;)

Looks like my penciling it out was close. I googled it:

"Betavoltaic batteries, containing Tritium, have a power of approximately 24 watts per kilogram with a full load operating life of 10 years, and an efficiency of around of 25%. Because of this, we will see cheap, extended life, high energy density, and low-power batteries."

And such batteries were used to power pacemakers decades ago, before they switched to lithium.

Yeah, RTGs are easier to build in larger sizes, but have similar specific powers and lifetimes. So betavoltaic batteries are effectively like mini-RTGs. Using a long-lived isotope like C14 would seem to be a poor choice.....the longer theoretical lifetime has no value proposition, and lowers the specific power.

Making the Pu needed for RTGs has been a problem for NASA for awhile. Tritium is easier to make in practice, and a steady supply is needed to keep the thermonuclear arsenal working.

In practice, NASA has been moving towards solar power further and further from the sun. Both Dawn and Juno work far beyond mars, and are solar powered. By thinning the cells and going to concentrators, they can achieve rather high specific power.

I always appreciate your insights woodgeek. I learn a lot from these posts.
What do you think of Gate's and Terrapower's work on small scale nuclear?