Another 14 tons of corn...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SidecarFlip

Minister of Fire
Feb 7, 2010
S.E. Michigan
Just got another 14 tons (28,000 pounds) of free corn from my buddy down the road, not exactly free, but almost. He uses one of my tractors with the creep gears to pull his 2 row planter to plant his test plots but it's a good trade. I've burned around 4 ton this year and it was an easy winter. 14 ton should last 2 years of the flu don't get me first.... Fingers crossed on that.

Just got another 14 tons (28,000 pounds) of free corn from my buddy down the road, not exactly free, but almost. He uses one of my tractors with the creep gears to pull his 2 row planter to plant his test plots but it's a good trade. I've burned around 4 ton this year and it was an easy winter. 14 ton should last 2 years of the flu don't get me first.... Fingers crossed on that.
LOL, 14 tons? Hoarding :)

Stay healthy, everyone!

LOL, 14 tons? Hoarding :)

Stay healthy, everyone!

Never look at a basically free source of corn as a liability. What I cannot fit in the grain tank will be on skids, bagged and palletized so I can store it in the Clearspan, in the corner, out of the way. Now just to keep on, keeping on with no virus issues and all will be good. Nice to squirrel away a couple years of cheap heat far as I'm concerned. One less thing to be concerned with. Give the barn mice something to munch on... :)

Reactions: FirepotPete
Now that is a trade! 14 tons for use of a small tractor to pull 2 row planter!

I have a Deere model 71 - 2 row planter that I use on Deere 955 (33hp) hydrostat tractor. That 14 tons of corn is worth more than my planter is, even after rebuilding it.

Now that is a trade! 14 tons for use of a small tractor to pull 2 row planter!

I have a Deere model 71 - 2 row planter that I use on Deere 955 (33hp) hydrostat tractor. That 14 tons of corn is worth more than my planter is, even after rebuilding it.
Not a small tractor actually, it's a 100 horse FWA but it has the low-low range in the gearbox and he needs that because they are test plots and they need to stop and check seed spacing, plant depth and lots of other stuff too. No hydro anything here. No good for ground engagement. All gear drive ag tractors. Closest I come to a hydro is an IVT.

I haven't paid for corn for a couple years now. Looks like I won't for a couple more either. Too bad propane is so cheap.

4 tons for an easy winter. So you might have enough for 2 hard winters. Nice stock.
I probably burned 2 tons so by the time this winter is over probably 2 1/2. I normally burn 3 to 3 1/2.

Looks like a nice deal for both of you.

Nice! me and my buddy just got another 117 bu to carry us thru and a good start for fall

Not a small tractor actually, it's a 100 horse FWA but it has the low-low range in the gearbox and he needs that because they are test plots and they need to stop and check seed spacing, plant depth and lots of other stuff too. No hydro anything here. No good for ground engagement. All gear drive ag tractors. Closest I come to a hydro is an IVT.

I haven't paid for corn for a couple years now. Looks like I won't for a couple more either. Too bad propane is so cheap.

Is this for a university test plot? It almost sounds like it.

Last summer propane was less than $.70 here. I am hoping that it will be even lower than that this summer. I have 2 1000 gallon tanks. That is enough to be able to last me over a year on one fill. I use about 1100 gallons per year on average.

Is this for a university test plot? It almost sounds like it.

Last summer propane was less than $.70 here. I am hoping that it will be even lower than that this summer. I have 2 1000 gallon tanks. That is enough to be able to last me over a year on one fill. I use about 1100 gallons per year on average.
Yes and no, they are commercial growers and of course run test plots. Works for me, Their tractors are way too big. I take it the 0.70 is dryer gas? I have 3 500 gallon bottle for the house and shop, mainly the shop. If if it's real cold and windy, the corn burner cannot keep up so the central furnace runs infrequently. I don't do row crops, just forage crops so no dryer gas.

4 tons for an easy winter. So you might have enough for 2 hard winters. Nice stock.
I probably burned 2 tons so by the time this winter is over probably 2 1/2. I normally burn 3 to 3 1/2.

Looks like a nice deal for both of you.
There will be more I suspect. I get to help him harvest too. Like running the big JD's and the trucks pulling hopper bottoms, nice break for me. Retirement gets boring, especially between cuts.

I mix in wood pellets at a 3-1 ratio. Cuts way down on the clinkers for me. Cheapest pellets I can find.

Just summer fill rates for residential use. Not dryer gas.

What I do, summer (august) fill. Good price for residential gas. Last summer I paid $1.07. This summer, who knows, will cross that bridge when I come to it. at your price, no reason to heat with anything else. No wood, no biomass, nothing. Even here, the corn/pellet stove is only a buffer, no more.

If my corn wasn't free, I'd be 100% on propane. O spend basically 200 bucks for the year (pellets) and the fuel in a tractor to haul the corn down here 1 mile and furl to run the grain leg to fill the grain tank. Storage for me (pallets) is free in the back of the storage barn.