Another Method

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

StockHR

Jul 12, 2019
Vermont
Iv'e seen and read about using a leaf blower to clean out your stove and flue pipe. From what I can tell it seems like a great idea. The other day I was trying to figure out how I could adapt my blower so It would work as I've seen in the videos. Since I really only wanted to clean out my 4" flue pipe I decided to try blowing instead of sucking the ash out. My stove is in a corner and there is about 2' of pipe that goes into a clean out "T" section. So I removed the clean out on the bottom of the "T" and slid my shop vac hose up the flue well past the "T" section so it wouldn't blow into the house. I put the 2" hose on the blower side of the vac and I was amazed by how must stuff came flying out of the end of the 12 feet of flue pipe. I'll clean the short piece of flue and brush the flue when I shut her down in the spring but for now it was an easy and quick way to keep the combustion air moving. Just another method.

Reactions: railfanron
I blow the exhaust out from inside but I do from the stove out
IMG_20190204_184214.jpg

Looks like it would work good, but one slip and ash everywhere!

Yeah it could but not going to happen the way I do it. Insert plug I made into stove exhaust passage , insert shop vac hose into plug, turn on vac while holding onto the hose, allow to run for 2 mins.or so, shut off vac . and remove hose and plug. That plug is 3" inches into the exhaust and the hose fits real tight so it's not coming out even if letting go of the hose. Doing it that way no worries now screw up and turn the vac on at the wrong time or something and yeah it could get messy.

I blow the exhaust out from inside but I do from the stove out
View attachment 257545
I do the same thing. Use the shop vac's blower feature. Just wedge a vacuum attachment into exhaust port, stuff a couple shop rags in to hold it. Hook up the vac on blow, and go outside and watch the cloud! 7' of 4" Duravent into the chimney.