Another question about storage options.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mcote

Hearth Supporter
Feb 6, 2009
Northern Maine
Would a compressed air receiver tank work as pressurized storage? 1000 gallons, rated -20*-650* @125 PSI. I am trying to track down a 1000 gallon propane tank for a summer install, but ran across this tank and thought I would check with the pros.

I don't know why not, only that a 1000 gal rating on an air tank is far less than 1000 gal of water, as air compresses and water does not. What is actual cubic ft volume of tank? Each cu ft of vol = 7.48 gal of water. Also, fittings on an air tank likely are not 1" or larger, and you will need to do some weld on fittings. 1" is smallest storage tank fitting that is really useful, IMO.

If it has a man hole a good inspection should be done. Air tanks tend to rust inside due to the moisture in the air. We have to have them inspected periodically. It may also be thicker metal than a water tank but don't take my word for it, I can't remember. I would seriously consider it.

Mike

I am using 2 x 500 gallon propane tanks which have a rating of 250 psi WP (working pressure) @ 650 degree's F. These were originally ASME rated tanks but I purchased them as scrap and thus the ASME tags had been removed.

I was a little concerend about them at first but when I looked at the 66 gallon expansion tanks I purchased and realized that they were non-ASME coded vessels, all my worries went away. Most expansion tanks are rated for a max pressure of 100 psi and thus are not ASME coded/have no tag on them.

My propane tanks have basically a 1/4" shell thicknes and 3/8" end cap thickness. I MIG welded all of y own fittings on them and have had ZERO problems/leaks.

Does the 125 psi air tank your looking at have an ASME tag on it (I'm guessing it does not).

What size is the tank your looking at (both in volume and length/dia). I can look this tank up in my charts and try to determine the shell and end cap thickness.

Thanks,

NWM

Status
Not open for further replies.