Another T5 question. Is this safe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bullyboy

Burning Hunk
Apr 8, 2017
Central Ontario
When swapping stoves I just raised the telescoping pipe with the stove adapter attached. When I slide it down onto the new stove it rests right on the enamel and sounded like it was gonna scratch. I just shimmed it up a bit and locked it up with the telescoping again? Is this ok? Should I fill the gap with something or possibly invest in a different stove adapter? Did the small break in fire and all looked well but just need reassurance. F7E80EC3-F84B-40E8-8231-12BEE7FBB85D.jpeg5FDEECAF-2A6F-4EB8-9E28-C853F8665D67.jpegF7E80EC3-F84B-40E8-8231-12BEE7FBB85D.jpeg5FDEECAF-2A6F-4EB8-9E28-C853F8665D67.jpeg

Last edited:
Try it without the stove adapter. It may not be necessary. It wasn't with DVL connecting to our T6. All I did was use my crimpers to deepen the crimp a little. The pipe stopped 1/2" above the stovetop and seated firmly.

Try it without the stove adapter. It may not be necessary. It wasn't with DVL connecting to our T6.
Single-wall connector pipe dropped right into the flue collar on ours, no appliance connector needed.

Ok. Thanks guys. It's appreciated.

Took it all apart and no luck. Its duravent double wall and the inside diameter is the same circumference as the outside of the stove collar ring. The available lip also has very little room to crimp it inward. I might actually have a hard time getting it back to where it should be.

I also tried stretching out the inner crimp on the stove adapter with no luck.

Is there some type of heat resistant silicone ring or gasket that could just be a barrier between the pipe and the enamel?

Ok. Tried again. Crimped and made it fit but was still resting on the enamel. Used a beer coaster as a guide height and locked it all up. I managed to get 3 screws into the stove collar. If I shake the pipe it wiggles around a bit more than I would like but pulling it is rock solid. Do you think I’m safe like this now??

Attachments

• B42D739E-252F-4AF2-8E2E-FD02E78E64D5.jpeg
    B42D739E-252F-4AF2-8E2E-FD02E78E64D5.jpeg
    127.5 KB · Views: 85
  • 5698A511-1CDF-424F-ADBA-074D775C1BA5.jpeg
    5698A511-1CDF-424F-ADBA-074D775C1BA5.jpeg
    138.2 KB · Views: 85
  • 0B29B87A-C185-4BB2-BCBF-BD82B917B8A6.jpeg
    0B29B87A-C185-4BB2-BCBF-BD82B917B8A6.jpeg
    132.5 KB · Views: 100
  • 3957C623-A9A0-4F05-B141-634D7D0FB0EE.jpeg
    3957C623-A9A0-4F05-B141-634D7D0FB0EE.jpeg
    130.9 KB · Views: 99
  • 4944D2EE-1694-4B97-B537-10C155963957.jpeg
    4944D2EE-1694-4B97-B537-10C155963957.jpeg
    130.4 KB · Views: 97
Took it all apart and no luck. Its duravent double wall and the inside diameter is the same circumference as the outside of the stove collar ring. The available lip also has very little room to crimp it inward. I might actually have a hard time getting it back to where it should be.

I also tried stretching out the inner crimp on the stove adapter with no luck.

Is there some type of heat resistant silicone ring or gasket that could just be a barrier between the pipe and the enamel?
Just installed some DVL on a new T6 last weekend. Yes it is the same diameter, but I took my crimpers to the inner liner and deepened the crimp. Then it fit snugly into the collar.
If you try just the appliance adapter, how sloppy is it in the flue collar?

Just installed some DVL on a new T6 last weekend. Yes it is the same diameter, but I took my crimpers to the inner liner and deepened the crimp. Then it fit snugly into the collar.
I'd say pretty sloppy. You don't have to try hard to move the pipe around.

I'd say what i have now has less than 1/8th of play, the adapter was probably closer to 1/4 or more. It feels pretty sturdy now. Do you see anything I should be worried about?

This was before I crimped it. It was just round pipe. No crimping.

Attachments

• 5E32E37F-2A3F-4429-BD7C-9E80FA3B5974.jpeg
    5E32E37F-2A3F-4429-BD7C-9E80FA3B5974.jpeg
    99 KB · Views: 84
On the T6 the DVL was snug at about 1/2" over the stovetop. I have to rely on your judgment because I am not there to feel it out. It is possible that you may have crimped it a bit too much if it feels sloppy. If so, slightly flatten out the crimp until it fits snugly.

On the T6 the DVL was snug at about 1/2" over the stovetop. I have to rely on your judgment because I am not there to feel it out. It is possible that you may have crimped it a bit too much if it feels sloppy. If so, slightly flatten out the crimp until it fits snugly.
Ok, Will do. Thanks for help.

Ok @begreen I have bent it a bit back and re assembled. It's snug enough now that you need both hands to rotate it sideways. Good call. Thanks for that. For what ever reason, maybe the enamel thickness but it still wants to rest on the enamel on the back section so I still raised it the same way and locked it up again. Looks the same as previous pics but good and snug now.

I'm probably half way thru the third break in burn with the three 3"splits. All going good and stove and pipe seem leveled out at around 425. This is my first experience with a tube stove, so my question is this. Can you hear when the air is flowing thru the tubes? There is almost like a wind sound from the stove pipe, nothing outrages like a supper hot chimney about to ignite but just a steady hum. Probe at 18" is 425 and exterior at same spot is 135 on the heat gun. I might be way over analyzing but I'm also curious. Thanks for all your help. I'll try not to ask to many more questions!

You can let the stove rip now. It doesn't need a long break-in cycle like a full cast iron stove. Although the stove is a non-cat, it's not a tube-stove. ;) PE's baffle design is unique. I sometimes hear the air going past the air control valve, but not up the stovepipe. The exterior temp on the double-wall stove pipe is not meaningful.

You can let the stove rip now. It doesn't need a long break-in cycle like a full cast iron stove. Although the stove is a non-cat, it's not a tube-stove. ;) PE's baffle design is unique. I sometimes hear the air going past the air control valve, but not up the stovepipe. The exterior temp on the double-wall stove pipe is not meaningful.
I'll say this much so far, it's a pleasure to sit back and relax watching a nice lazy flame. The ashford only had clean glass for the first fire of each year. Lol. Thanks for all the help. I'll make sure I do a comparison review once I get thru the full season.

I'll say this much so far, it's a pleasure to sit back and relax watching a nice lazy flame. The ashford only had clean glass for the first fire of each year. Lol. Thanks for all the help. I'll make sure I do a comparison review once I get thru the full season.
What does the missus think?

What does the missus think?
She pretty pleased. She really likes that she got her enamel and like I said, we’re both pretty impressed with the flame show that just a few splits can create.

The hum coming from the chimney is freaking me out a bit. At low burn it is just a low constant wind sound but this afternoon I tried 4 smallish size splits. Over an hour in the stove and chimney both between 400 and 500 and the flames not changing much but the sound really intensified. Scared me a bit but everything seemed under control. Shortly after this video the stove top hit 600 and then gradually came back down. The pipe temp barely budged.
To much draft now maybe? I was also thinking it just might be room air being drawn up through the holes in the bottom of the double wall. Maybe some gasket rope there would help. Would also help protect the enamel.

Reactions: Woody5506
She pretty pleased. She really likes that she got her enamel and like I said, we’re both pretty impressed with the flame show..Maybe some gasket rope there would help.
Yeah, slap a pipe damper in there and see if that kills the noise.
That burn looks really good, though..

I don't hear any noise at all and the fire looks good. Relax and give yourself a month to get used to the stove.

I don't hear any noise at all and the fire looks good. Relax and give yourself a month to get used to the stove.
Found someone else who likes it as much as the wife and I. She’s just warming one paw at a time.

Attachments

• 25317CEA-CC38-4DE1-835B-128EFCA6A669.jpeg
    25317CEA-CC38-4DE1-835B-128EFCA6A669.jpeg
    148.1 KB · Views: 77
Reactions: CenterTree
Come winter you won't be able to move her away from there.

Reactions: Bullyboy