Another Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

may79

Jan 29, 2020
Central PA
Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1690.jpg
    IMG_1690.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_1691.jpg
    IMG_1691.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 177
I thought perhaps that it was Hickory. The guy whose yard I got it from seemed to think it was Beech, but there were several trees down.

Yard tree..could it be some exotic landscape variety. I'm only familiar with Pignut and Shagbark Hickory, as far as I know, and that heartwood looks like neither of those..

Is it maybe some type of Poplar? I thought Poplar heartwood had some green and purple to it, not just solid brown.

Is it maybe some type of Poplar? I thought Poplar heartwood had some green and purple to it, not just solid brown.
It's not Tulip Poplar...

Those photos look like pignut hickory to me. (It's not beech, 100% sure.)

It's very good wood, as my nickname suggests. Two things to know. If you put it in a fire with oak -- the best combo -- it will spark like crazy when you open the door to feed the stove. Be ready for sparks. Second, it seasons pretty fast -- a year can be enough for some of the pieces -- but also deteriorates sometimes in the stacks. So if I get it in November, 2018, I'm using it by February 2020 and trying to use it up in the winter of 2021.

Reactions: mark cline
Thanks for all the help. After some research and everyone's feedback, I pretty much agree that it is some form of Hickory.

Those photos look like pignut hickory to me. (It's not beech, 100% sure.)
It's very good wood, as my nickname suggests-- but also deteriorates sometimes in the stacks.
Yeah, make sure Hickory is covered well or rot can set in.