Another wood to pellet conversion thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sewerrat

Oct 12, 2018
WISCONSIN
I have a wood stove at my up north place. It's needed on cold days to heat a 500sqft addition that only has 1 small furnace vent run to it.
Because we typically leave on Sunday's, I'm hesitant to start a fire in the wood stove Sunday morning because I don't want to leave a warm stove when I leave for the next week.
Plus, I'd like a more "instant" heat since that room is cold when we arrive on a Friday.
Thus, I'm considering converting from wood to pellet.
My specific question is:
Where should I convert the 4" pellet piping to the current 6" piping?
-Immediately out of the stove?
-Anywhere along the current pipe?
-Where the pipe 90's into the masonry chimney.

Also, does the old stove have any value or should I just run it to the scrap yard?

Thanks

Attached are a few photos
IMG_1394.jpg
IMG_1395.jpg
IMG_1396.jpg

You could actually do a direct vent system and it wouldn’t look that different

Last edited:
Would make a spiffy planter for the summer garden............:p

I’m sure if you cleaned the wood stove up you could get a couple hundred for it....a lot of people think a wood stove is easier

I have a wood stove at my up north place. It's needed on cold days to heat a 500sqft addition that only has 1 small furnace vent run to it.
Because we typically leave on Sunday's, I'm hesitant to start a fire in the wood stove Sunday morning because I don't want to leave a warm stove when I leave for the next week.
Plus, I'd like a more "instant" heat since that room is cold when we arrive on a Friday.
Thus, I'm considering converting from wood to pellet.
My specific question is:
Where should I convert the 4" pellet piping to the current 6" piping?
-Immediately out of the stove?
-Anywhere along the current pipe?
-Where the pipe 90's into the masonry chimney.

Also, does the old stove have any value or should I just run it to the scrap yard?

Thanks

Attached are a few photos
View attachment 272016View attachment 272017View attachment 272018
You would get a reducer to go from the size of the breach in the masonry chimney to pellet vent. You probably only need 3" pellet vent. Just keep in mind when you are piping it, that pellet vent needs cleaned on a regular basis. I would use a tee at the back of the stove then a tee going into the breach. All piping would be accessible without disassembly.

You would need a reducer to go from stove pipe size to pelletvent

Personally I would go with a ductless heat pump -15F with/without wifi thermostat. You get instant hot air from the ductless heat pump and you get AC in summer. At 30F or warmer the heat pumps are extremely efficient and cost less than pellets to run.

If you had a wifi thermostat heat pump you could turn it on before you arrive with your cell phone. Once you get the wood stove going, you could shut down the heat pump. When leaving you just shut down the wood stove and run the heat pump for a few hours.

Personally I would go with a ductless heat pump -15F with/without wifi thermostat. You get instant hot air from the ductless heat pump and you get AC in summer. At 30F or warmer the heat pumps are extremely efficient and cost less than pellets to run.

If you had a wifi thermostat heat pump you could turn it on before you arrive with your cell phone. Once you get the wood stove going, you could shut down the heat pump. When leaving you just shut down the wood stove and run the heat pump for a few hours.

Thanks for the suggestion. On the really hot days, the AC does have a problem keeping up, so this is a good idea. Appreciate it.

Reactions: Ssyko
We replaced a wood stove, and the pipe coming out of the stove is 4" (4.5" O.D.). The wood stove pipe was either 6" or 8", so the thimble in the wall is quite large. The installer ran a flue up inside the existing chimney and installed an adapter plate on the thimble to accommodate the smaller diameter pipe. It came out looking quite good.

Reactions: Ssyko