Ant swarms in my wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Welderman85

Feeling the Heat
Nov 1, 2017
Chesaning MI
Inwas stacking some wood on my piles by the house and the were a bunch of ants with wings I think they were carpenter ants what can I do

Move the piles away from the house.

Make sure they are not termites. Termite swarmers have wings. Ants have segmented bodies. Termites have one long body. A simple google search and a close inspection of one should let u know what they are.

That's plenty. I was thinking they were close by the house. You could try sprinkling Borax around and on the piles.

I just put the logs they're in on the sunny driveway, far from the house. Laid out individually. The sun and birds take care of the rest. They want moisture and shade.

Reactions: johneh
Nothing gets away at my house. Into the fire pit.

Know anyone with chickens? They will enjoy the treat.

Otherwise just get the logs with ants in them into the sun and wild birds will take care of the rest.

I've seen ant brigades traveling across the ground for 150ft or more in search of a new home. Keep looking, they're probably making their way at the moment. Just kidding, kind of. Lots of different species, and they can do things different. Those with wings are the replacement queens for one that is failing in the nest. After they mate, they'll setup shop in a new home they have chosen. They probably would not choose your drying cord wood, or your dry house timbers. More likely someplace damp, like a dead/dying tree or something similar. Unless your house is dead/dying and damp?

I've seen ant brigades traveling across the ground for 150ft or more in search of a new home. Keep looking, they're probably making their way at the moment. Just kidding, kind of. Lots of different species, and they can do things different. Those with wings are the replacement queens for one that is failing in the nest. After they mate, they'll setup shop in a new home they have chosen. They probably would not choose your drying cord wood, or your dry house timbers. More likely someplace damp, like a dead/dying tree or something similar. Unless your house is dead/dying and damp?