Antigua, much more fun than burning wood!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Warm_in_NH

Minister of Fire
Dec 17, 2013
central NH or N.E. CT.
I must say that I definitely prefer the Caribbean to running the wood stove. Not much need for a wood burner in Antigua, it was 82 every day 75 every night.
Beautiful country with some fantastic people as well. We were there for 7 days, stayed at an all inclusive, but spent most days bombing around the island on the wrong side of it's narrow roads with a crappy map and NO signage due to a big storm in November that apparently took most of them down. Several signs can be seen laying around, some have been propped back up but not always facing the right way, kept things pretty interesting.
We stayed on the less populated side of the island, away from "town" St. John, away from the busy beach resort area (Dickerson's Bay). I think we were one of 5 couples in a 180 room resort that had a rental car, everyone else just takes a taxi to the resort, stays there for a week or two, and heads back home, it's a GREAT place, but I can't imaging not getting out and seeing the country.

IMG_0016.JPG
The "main road" leading to the resort.

IMG_0034.JPG
The view from the room.

IMG_0102.JPG
Mongoose. Their version of a Squirrel.

IMG_0134.JPG
Me, with a cold beer, loving life, not thinking about burning wood.

IMG_0276.JPG
Fig Tree Drive view, cut through road through the mountains.

IMG_0435.JPG
English Harbor, big bucks here. These are the dingy's, the 200+' yachts are around the corner.

IMG_0488.JPG
Happy to see buildings older than our house (1830's) depressing to see they're in better shape.

IMG_0603.JPG
The good way to swim with the fishes.

IMG_0635.JPG
Camera hogs. (Taken with regular cannon powershot in a $15 waterproof case)

IMG_0683.JPG
Not the most sophisticated air port, but after the week we just had, no one was complaining.

Last edited:
Nice! If I lived back east right now I'd be on a plane heading to the Caribbean too!

One of my most fond memories in the Caribbean was spent on a beach with my wife and only a few other couples . . . I frolicked in the warm water, explored some nearby fort ruins and my wife had a massage from a lady from Jamaica. I still have the photo of that beach as a screen saver.

Reactions: Charlotte987
Cuba in six days time. I've had enough of the cold, it's not been above zero in quite a long time where I live. The winter seems to go on forever here.

the Caribbean sure is beautiful, isn't it. The wife and I have property on St Croix USVI and will be living there fulltime by Dec 2015. We look forward to 85 year round, and sunny. Both of us scuba dive, so we should have plenty to keep busy.

the Caribbean sure is beautiful, isn't it. The wife and I have property on St Croix USVI and will be living there fulltime by Dec 2015. We look forward to 85 year round, and sunny. Both of us scuba dive, so we should have plenty to keep busy.
Chuckin' it all? You'll miss those Ohio winters...not.

I grew upon Long Island. 29 years there, 24 years in Ohio, remainder in St Croix.

Check in with us next hurricane season. ;lol

Lindenhurst, Holbrook, you?
Lived on the Centereach/Lake Grove border close to Good Steer now in Stony Brook near West Meadow.

Fully retiring in St. Croix or business that can run itself now? You're just a couple years older than me but no retiring for me yet! First son starting college next year. Probably another 8-10 yrs to go for me.

semi retired, have a few ideas to play with down there.. Started young mine are 27, 30,33

The wife and I have property on St Croix USVI and will be living there fulltime...
Nice. How do you score a chunk of paradise like that? Love living in Canada but I gotta get my toes into some warm sandy beach for a bit one day

Nice. How do you score a chunk of paradise like that? Love living in Canada but I gotta get my toes into some warm sandy beach for a bit one day

Zillow, Remax USVI MLS. Not as expensive as you think, as least I do not think so.

Zillow, Remax USVI MLS. Not as expensive as you think, as least I do not think so.
Sounds like you really got your sh$t together, hope you guys have a blast. Btw, -30 forecast for Sunday - you're gonna miss that kind of thing (not....)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.