Antique Vose & Co. Seeking Info.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JDHRosewater

Jun 29, 2015
Noblesvillage, Indiana
Howdy all! I've been a fly on the wall around here for a good while, and have learned much; like I REALLY want a generation 1, V.C. Defiant to do some serious heating.

This however is a request for info. about this little antique gem I have an opportunity to buy for under $300.00
It's the Vose & Co Paris Parlor model. It really looks too good to be antique. Were these reproduced? Also, assuming authenticity, is $300.00 a fair price to pay? - good investment? I have an antique house, (1875), and feel this little guy would be just FAB in my front parlor for occasional, small, atmospheric fires. Would be most grateful for any info provided. Thanks' in advance. Cheers! J
Stove Vose & Co..jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Not enough of them made for anybody to repro so it is authentic. Old stove value is in the eye of the beholder and you obviously like it enough for it to be worth $300. Don't expect long heat life that you could get from a modern stove for a few hundred bucks more. And don't be surprised when your insurance company won't cover a UL unlisted stove and when the chimney costs you four times what you pay for the stove.

Not enough of them made for anybody to repro so it is authentic. Old stove value is in the eye of the beholder and you obviously like it enough for it to be worth $300. Don't expect long heat life that you could get from a modern stove for a few hundred bucks more. And don't be surprised when your insurance company won't cover a UL unlisted stove and when the chimney costs you four times what you pay for the stove.
Thanks' for the reply. I do like it very much - for sure. It is just about the same age as my house and will fit like a glove. Don't plan to use it except for occasional ambiance, so heat gain isn't much of an issue. The insurance bit is a concern, but I don't think they'll like my working gasolier either. Hehe.. As for the chimney, I'm taking it down and re-building it myself with bricks I have, so cost is just liner and mortar. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Reactions: JBaird
Yeah, no cracks or anything. Looks like it was hardly used. Not sure about fuel, but probably just wood. It came out of the owners family farm house three generations back. I only plan to use it occasionally for special occasions, and with small, low heat fires to keep it in good shape. Thanks' for the reply!

Does it have a shaker grate with an external handle or a flat grate with no handle and no air supply under the fire?

This post lead me to this forum because I have a opportunity to buy this same model for a great price. The outside of the stove looks very original, but the current owner has installed aN electric log kit. This belonged to his grandparents. When I asked him if it could be converted back he says he never took anything out but added that I might have to find a grate or firebrick for it. I know very little about stoves and am cautious that I would be unable to find those inner workings. Can someone describe what might be missing?

Your best bet is to work with an antique stove company like those mentioned above. They may have spare parts or know of a foundry that will cast them for you. I also see in Wisc. this company. http://www.madisonstoveworks.com/

I know. But I doubt they could beat the $85 price. If I could get a better idea of what might be missing I would be willing to take a chance.

That would be hard to do without seeing detailed pictures of the inside of the stove. And even then it would be guessing unless someone also owned this stove. Maybe start a conversation with JDHRosewater to see if he bought the stove. If yes, perhaps you could compare details?

Reactions: JBaird
Ha haaaahhh! Sold! Driving the twenty hours round trip next week to go pick it up. Soooo excited! Dave and Arla are great, and were so sweet to take my check to hold it for me. It's a long drive no doubt, but it's going to look soooooo rad in my front room. Stoked! hehheh...

Nice. A ten hour drive and then back, now that is dedication. Take pics when you get it home and installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.