Any electrical/electronics people around?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cedarjunki

Minister of Fire
Oct 17, 2015
Upstate NY
new to me enviro evolution.
The convection blower is locked with the heat setting. 1-5
I can turn the damn fan off but cannot control it seperate from heat levels.

Is there an easy way i can connect a fan speed control with say a dpdt switch? Meaning wire the switch to keep it normal on one side but flip the switch and have full control. ???

Willing to listen to any suggestions

new to me enviro evolution.
The convection blower is locked with the heat setting. 1-5
I can turn the damn fan off but cannot control it seperate from heat levels.

Is there an easy way i can connect a fan speed control with say a dpdt switch? Meaning wire the switch to keep it normal on one side but flip the switch and have full control. ???

Willing to listen to any suggestions

Dimmer switch?

Im not sure I understand the question. Are you saying that you want to be able to change your convection fan speed manually regardless of the stove temperature?

Im not sure I understand the question. Are you saying that you want to be able to change your convection fan speed manually regardless of the stove temperature?

Tim what i want is to put in a switch and add speed controller. Purpose of the switch so i can either have the fan controlled by the board the way it is or flip the switch and speed up the fan to whatever speed i wish.
As it is the blower only runs at what ever speed corrosponds with the heat setting. IE..heat on 1 means fan on 1. Heat on 3 means fan on 3. Heat on 5 means fan on 5.

I know i can pull more heat out of this stove without running a higher heat setting.

The actual blower is in question as far as its design and placement but thats a diff discussion.

Do you want individual discrete settings or something a bit more analog?

Do you want individual discrete settings or something a bit more analog?

My question was how to simply or easily wire in a switch so i could flip the switch one way and the stove would be stock and flip the switch the other way and be able to regulate the blower with a speed control. Possibly with the dpdt toggle as mentioned.

Yes, a DPDT switch, with the room fan motor connected to the 2 C terminals, would be the most foolproof way to do this. Then, one "side pair" of contacts would connect to the original connections to the stove control board, and the other "side pair" of switch contacts would connect to a motor-speed control (dimmer) wired in series to one side of a line cord, and the other side of the line cord would connect to the remaining terminal of the switch.

The caution with this setup is that if you run the fan too slow for the burn rate, you can overheat (warp) your heat exchanger. If you run the fan too fast for the burn rate, you could overcool the exhaust gases and have creosote or corrosive combustion by-products (acidic liquids) collect on the heat exchanger and/or flue pipes.

If you know what a DPDT switch is then you should have the knowledge to do this... but Pellet in NJ describes it well. I'd rather see an actual schematic of your stove before I gave any particular recommendations, but this should work.

If one side of the motor is just common grounded you could just use a SPDT switch with the common terminal to hot side of motor and the other two hooked to the controller and you variable control.

I was similarly going to experiment with the combustion blower on my stove, just wiring it straight into a variac and controlling it manually and seeing if running it a bit higher would help clean up my burn a little. But I suspect now that the burn itself might be just fine, it is just accumulation of ash in the labyrinth behind the stove back, that is causing short cleaning intervals, and being able to adjust the air higher probably wouldn't help.

I asked this same question this past fall and would like to find out as well. One other consideration is that depending on the motor using variable voltage is not recommended and would need pulse width modulated control.

I asked this same question this past fall and would like to find out as well. One other consideration is that depending on the motor using variable voltage is not recommended and would need pulse width modulated control.

I have confirmation from a well known source on another site that the way i intend to use the dpdt switch and a good speed control will work just fine. Everyone seems to be overlooking the intended purpose here and dont completely understand why i want to or why would i...

These motors should run fine on any good variable control. How do we think the blowers on the stoves in the 90's were controlled? Just some motors ant handle going too slow. But i dont want slow anyways.. if i want slow i can flip the switch and let the control board handle it.

greater temp delta from source to sink will extract more heat (increase efficiency).

Enviro Convection motor is AC then?

greater temp delta from source to sink will extract more heat (increase efficiency).

If by AC you mean 110 volt ac then yes. Enviro uses a few diff convection blowers but all the ones i have looked at are 110. Not many 12 volt pellet stoves out there.

With yours being an insert i believe its a normal squirrel cage type blower as well. Gives you a couple choices in brands anyways. Mine is oddball stupid and expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.