Any experience with a High Valley 1600?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dlundblad

Nov 26, 2018
Indiana
Hello everyone.

I just bought my first house that came with one of these. I've used it a few times, but want to clean it before going any further.. I'm just not sure how to go about cleaning it without taking everything apart.

The stove has 4 tubes running across the top of the wood box to aid in secondary combustion. On top of the bricks that encase the fire box, there's a fiber blanket that (per the manual) should not come out. That said, I am not sure where the junk would go that falls out of the stove pipe since I have no way of getting to it without disassembling everything. The stove has a straight chimney that goes right out the roof so cleaning the pipe should be pretty straight forward, but the manual basically says to hire the job done...

So far, I am not sure I'm too impressed with the unit in terms of serviceability (it doesn't even have an ash drawer), but it does really warm up the house. Took about 2 hours to have a +10*F reading on the thermostat in the living room on a 30*F day.

Thanks for any input.

Link to the stove.
http://www.highvalleystoves.com/stove1600.php