Any Harman PF100 users ever try corn in their stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
tried it last season at several different blends of corn and pellets seemed to work fine as long as the corn was less than 30% of the mix more than that I would have issues during low burn rates: clinkers that would snuff out the flame, dirty flame to name a few but these could of been due to less than ideal corn, this year I've found two pellet mills within a half hour with reasonable prices so haven't given it another shot this year.

I would stay away from any more than a 20-30% mixture of corn in any pellet stove that advertises that you can mix w/ corn: preferrably none at all. Corn is pretty dirty to burn, lots of black gunk carmelizing everywhere. maybe w/ a true multifuel, but unless you own a feed store, why bother trying to find acceptable burn corn?

summit said:
I would stay away from any more than a 20-30% mixture of corn in any pellet stove that advertises that you can mix w/ corn: preferrably none at all. Corn is pretty dirty to burn, lots of black gunk carmelizing everywhere. maybe w/ a true multifuel, but unless you own a feed store, why bother trying to find acceptable burn corn?

I do agree! If it is a pellet stove/furnance, then I would burn pellets. Corn burns hotter and most multifuel stoves/furnances are made for that. Also make sure your stove pipe is rated for corn. I have replaced stove pipe that corn has burn in, it starts to break the pipe down over time.

I do appreciate the comments from all the posters. I guess I'll stick with pellets and leave corn to the cereal makers and feed lots. My stove is working fine on pellets and I don't want to screw it up. I was just curious due to the drop in corn prices and the potential energy (and heat) in corn as a fuel. Once again, thanks for you input.

Status
Not open for further replies.