Any hint at pricing on the Froling P4 boiler?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
With all those swinging doors, you might as well just be lighting a big bonfire every night, eh? :) Mind you, I would not expect the kennel facilities to need to be kept anywhere as warm as your other buildings. But clearly a huge heat loss no matter how you slice it.

The kennels are around 55-60

The attached grroming shop is another story, it is a seperate zone and dont let the women get cold. You'll never hear the end of it. LoL

Tarm Sales Guy said:
Singed Eyebrows said:
Tarm Sales Guy said:
Hi Morgan, the tanks we sell are not particularly 'special' but they are ASME stamped tanks which certainly adds to the cost. Any pressurized tank over 120 gallons is required to be ASME stamped. You will notice that all the indirect water heater manufacturers have tanks going up to 119 gallons which allows them to produce tanks without the ASME stamp.

Getting a tank made locally may make good financial sense, especially with the freight costs to AK. However, your inspector will want to see an ASME stamp on whatever tank you choose. Also wanted to mention that 400 gallons would be more than enough buffer for the 32/38 P4 - we recommend 300 gallons. If you have room/ceiling height for a vertical 400 gallon tank, by all means go for it, but I really don't think you need more gallons than that. With its wide modulation and, of course its ability to self start/stop, there is really not nearly as much need for thermal storage as with a wood boiler. Buffer tanks allow for higher efficiency by creating longer run times and dramatically reducing the amount of on/off cycling that the boiler does, but the required gallons to do that are not near what it takes to optimize a wood boiler system.

Chris
Not here Chris, ASME is required for a tank that runs over 15 psi. Below that any size tank can be used without that certification, Randy

Now THAT is interesting Randy. Can you point me somewhere where I can confirm that? I don't doubt you, but need to be able to point to it in black and white to be able to do anything with the info. Do you think this is a state code, or national? We are starting to hear similar things from an indirect water heater supplier, but the issue still seems murky. I assume, then, that the indirects stop at 119 gallons because they are subjected to domestic water pressures higher than 15psi? Any details you can provide would be appreciated, thanks. Chris
Hi Chris, I didn't see your post till now. The people that built my tank, IPS in Wisconsin told me this & you could check with them. I also found it under a Google search of Wisconsin boiler laws or something like that. I believe it is state code & kind of an unusual one. I'll try to do some digging too, Randy

henfruit said:
Randy, Your sysytem must run over 15 psi?
My system runs 13.5 psi maximum at 180 degree water in the tank & thats all the temp the Atmos is rated for. I'm running the 500 liter expansion tank in my signature, Randy

Well I am heating close to 11,000 sqft.... These are all tied to a central boiler 7260 OWB. I think I may hit 60 cord this year.

There must be a better way. Deep Portage heats 56,000 sq ft on 85-90 cords/yr. 50% more wood; 500% more heated space. All of the heat is forced air through fan coil units and air handlers. A Wood Gun E500 with 4000 gal added pressurized storage and a Garn WHS 3200 with plate hx handle the job nicely.

Heat load not sq footage is the most important factor.

I expect to use 50 cords, but Pine and at altitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.