Any one with cell tower lease on their land ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
Its looking like my woodlot may be generating some income as I was contacted by a cell carrier to possibly lease a tower site.

Plenty of internet "snake oil" salesman willing to help but trying to get it straight from someone who has gone through it.

It is a win for me if they open up and maintain an existing access road and a monthly check will be a nice plus.

Reactions: brenndatomu
Take some time to do some investigation to see what going rates are and what negotiating room there is. It's a long-term commitment so make sure your interests are well covered in the lease terms. The lease to start with most likely will only have terms favorable to the company.
There are a ton of internet firms advertising in this realm.

Reactions: Ashful
No tower but a gas valve on some farm land. Every time the lease gets renewed we ask for more money. We always get something. It’s paid out near my dad’s birthday. He calls it his present. It’s a good present now. He gets $1000 a year now. Just for someone else to drive the tractor around it.

I don’t see any downside. If anything if your house is on the same part of the grid it will be a repair priority. Increases the overall value of the property to most.

Any chance it will increase coverage on the Kangamangus? That’s a well traveled dead spot.

Take some time to do some investigation to see what going rates are and what negotiating room there is. It's a long-term commitment so make sure your interests are well covered in the lease terms. The lease to start with most likely will only have terms favorable to the company.
There are a ton of internet firms advertising in this realm.
Easier said than done on the research, most people who lease tower sites dont tend to answer the phone as there is a big market for folks trying to buyout the leases once they exist. Plenty of sites claim to have databases and info but a lot of them use it as a come on to get info and to sell their services, many claim to give detailed advice on leases but few are actual lawyers. Most cell towers are either owned by the big providers or by firms like American Tower. They hire each others employees so they know the rates pretty well but the little guy does not.

With respect to the Kanc, its mostly all national forest land with the exception of a few private inholdings in Albany and they are remote from power or fiber service. It would be very expensive to install a cell tower. There are national forest wilderness areas to the south (Sandwich Range) and Pemigewasset to the north so no chance of towers along most of it.

Just make sure your best interests are also covered for things like sale of property, lease renewal terms, etc.

My community did one some years ago. Before it was done the cell company was sold. The new guys said they were not going to finish it. There was 200 K in escrow for the end of life removal. We told them to remove it. They finished it and it has a number of carriers on it.

My community did one some years ago. Before it was done the cell company was sold. The new guys said they were not going to finish it. There was 200 K in escrow for the end of life removal. We told them to remove it. They finished it and it has a number of carriers on it.
I know nothing about this type of thing, but I think that is some invaluble information right there - making sure you have an EOL plan, and escrow to carry it out, as part of the contract.

Reactions: ABMax24
EOL plan. Paid for. Your property returns to original condition.

Must have for an agreement.

Just like solar projects. As I recently found through a friend who had not considered this. This can be a deal breaker.
Otherwise, what do you do with a defunct tower?
Or large scale abandoned solar array:eek:

Both above points are very valid. Happens all the time here with old oil and gas wells.

In addition what happens if the company goes bankrupt and the lease is no longer paid?

Where people here get stuck is the way debts are settled in the event of bankruptcy. In most cases the landowner and municipality are pretty far down the list to be paid on overdue rent and taxes and usually don't see anything. At which point the government will remediate the site (but many years later) but no compensation is reimbursed for rent for that time.

There is actually a market for used solar panels and wiring and I expect some scrap value to cell tower and all the wiring associated with it. The standard lease usually agrees to remove everything to ground level the foundations remain, given its wood lot in relatively inaccessible location that is mostly rock, a foundation is not an issue.

Reactions: EbS-P