Any receipt scanners here?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
I'm the type of person who files away receipts for most durable goods, and this has been invaluable for returning items under warranty. I'm planning to switch over to scanning them with a portable document scanner and keep them electronically since so many fade over time or can be hard to find in my big folder of receipts.

I'm thinking the best way is to let the device create searchable pdf's and I enter keyword tags before saving the receipt. I don't want to use the vendor-supplied software for indexing as that software likely won't be supported long term. Does anybody have a methodology they follow for how the store/index their receipts? My thought is a folder hierarchy by product type isn't necessary provided I have a few relevant keywords stored with the receipt.

There is software out there, but I just scan the receipts and store the scans in iPhoto in appropriate folders, with descriptors. Works very well for me, and I can find a given receipt in seconds.

I've seen a scanner advertised on TV that comes with some software, but don't know how good it could be.

Status
Not open for further replies.