Any Tax Guru's here? Looking to buy a small farm.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

daveswoodhauler

Minister of Fire
May 20, 2008
Massachusetts
Trying to calculate the Penalty for an early IRA withdrawal....and I'm getting a little confused.
Here is the situation, my wife and I have always wanted to own an older home with a small farm potential....not for a real income, just cause we like it and have always wanted a place to grow blueberries, apples, pumpkins, strawberries, etc...I guess we are busy bodies (No dairy stuff, perhaps some chickens and a few goats....again, not for real income....just the life we have wanted for a while) Its about a 12 acre parcel, so I am drooling of all the firewood potential.
Anyway, we are going to look at a property this weekend, completely restored 1780's house on 12 acres.....I need to tap into an IRA early to make it work....its a little out of our price range, but we are willing to bite the bullet.
I guess here is the question, if I cash in an IRA early, say $30,000 or $50,000 am I paying taxes on the entire distribution plus 10%, or only paying the taxes and 10% penalty on the increase in value from what I bought/sold it at. (I'm thinking the entire amount as this is not a ROTH, and the original amount was not subject to taxes)
Normally, I would never cash in one early, but this is a good chance for us with the depressed housing market, and the property is in the first stages of foreclosure.
So, just thought I would check as I am sure there is a tax person ouot there.
Thanks.

Edit: We are in a pretty low tax bracket......about $80K a year in income with 3 kids all under 7...wife does not have an income but she works harder than I do

Can you borrow against your IRA instead of withdrawing it? That 10% is brutal. It could also move you into a higher bracket and threaten some of your deductions.

BTW, best wishes with your dream.

I can take a loan from my 401K, but not the IRA...and the loan on the 401K would be smaller due to restrictions.
The property used to be an orchard, but hasn;t been active for a while, so I would need to take some arborist lessons.
I know its a big hit to take, but most of the IRA is an old 401K the was rolled over, so a lot of the $$ is company contributions....just hate to pass up on something like this.....gotta live the dream, right? :)

definitely have to live the dream...there is 120 acres just listed a couple miles down the road that has me thinking the same thing

Solar- you put a decent house on that many acres here in New York your property taxes will choke a horse. Better find a way to get farm credit to lower the taxes....

I have been out of the tax profession for a few years but I believe if you are under 59 1/2 and withdraw anything you're subject to the tax plus the 10% penalty. If you withdraw after 59 1/2 you are only subject to the tax. As for what you pay tax on, if you put the $$ in tax free then when you take it out you pay tax on the entire amount.

I'll confirm the 59 1/2 rule for you.

[quote author="ilikewood" date="1

257396800"]Trying to calculate the Penalty for an early IRA withdrawal....and I'm getting a little confused.
Here is the situation, my wife and I have always wanted to own an older home with a small farm potential....not for a real income, just cause we like it and have always wanted a place to grow blueberries, apples, pumpkins, strawberries, etc...I guess we are busy bodies (No dairy stuff, perhaps some chickens and a few goats....again, not for real income....just the life we have wanted for a while) Its about a 12 acre parcel, so I am drooling of all the firewood potential.
Anyway, we are going to look at a property this weekend, completely restored 1780's house on 12 acres.....I need to tap into an IRA early to make it work....its a little out of our price range, but we are willing to bite the bullet.
I guess here is the question, if I cash in an IRA early, say $30,000 or $50,000 am I paying taxes on the entire distribution plus 10%, or only paying the taxes and 10% penalty on the increase in value from what I bought/sold it at. (I'm thinking the entire amount as this is not a ROTH, and the original amount was not subject to taxes)
Normally, I would never cash in one early, but this is a good chance for us with the depressed housing market, and the property is in the first stages of foreclosure.
So, just thought I would check as I am sure there is a tax person ouot there.
Thanks.

Edit: We are in a pretty low tax bracket......about $80K a year in income with 3 kids all under 7...wife does not have an income but she works harder than I do[/quote

Jack Straw said:
Solar- you put a decent house on that many acres here in New York your property taxes will choke a horse.

I heard ya and I fear its only going to get worse. The flip side of that is a property that large within 6 miles of downtown is going so see some capital appreciation in my lifetime no matter what the economy does. And, if Armageddon happens, it is on the high ground:)

Status
Not open for further replies.