Any way to check quadrafire motors and control boxes without stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Coolcat

Feb 10, 2020
Halifax, Canada
Recently at a thirft store I came across a box of random Quadrafire components for $25. 2 auger motor assemblies, one exhaust blower assembly, and two control boxes - AHN#230-2070 (couldn't find anything on this), and 7000-205 ( 3 speed). Some items were loose, some like the second box were in opened original packaging, and a lot of other components like thermo couples, igniters, and snap discs came in unopened packages, which led me to being hopeful that all the items were unused.

Is there any way to test these components to see if they are good, without putting them into a stove? With the motors would it be as simple as sticking them into an outlet via creative wiring? I would like to sell the items that I don't need, but would prefer to be able to tell people the truth about their status.

The motors can be hot-wired to see if they are operable. I would think the igniters can be tested that way as well. You should be able to immerse the end of the thermocouples in a flame & read the output in millivolts with a multimeter. The snap disks can also be tested with an open flame. Not sure about the control boxes...

Control box needs a stove or a dedicated test fixture.