Any way to determine good pellets? I am somewhat lost

Darkwing Posted By Darkwing, Jan 2, 2019 at 12:25 PM

Dismiss Notice
Merry Christmas, Happy New Year!....and Happy Holidays!
  1. Darkwing

Darkwing
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 11, 2018
    Loc:
    New Jersey
    Hello
    I am on my first pellet stove and it keeps our house at a great temp...
    But finding good pellets seems a lottery kind of deal...
    I had Tractor in white bag...not bad for 4 and change...but now gone and replaced by some for 5 and change and they are awful...
    And before i had a few good ones from lowe's but the one i got yesterday seems to have more ash then fire in it...
    And i looked around online...and some say softwood are they to go and other only touch hardwood...
    Is there any logic to follow?
    I would like to buy bulk, but since my experiences are so irritating, i would love to understand what to look for...

Thx for any light that u can shed into this subject...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. jerrieric

jerrieric
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jul 7, 2008
    Loc:
    Windham Me
    I've been burning big box pellets for at least 10 years. I just buy what they have in stock. I have had zero issues. Clean my current stove every 4/5 days and glass is very clean. I run 24/7. You can debate pellets forever. I just make sure they are labeled premium. I never seen any that were not labeled premium though.

3. Darkwing

Darkwing
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 11, 2018
    Loc:
    New Jersey
    Hmmm...ok...thx for your statement...
    But i really "feel" that some are real bad...and i really try to avoid byuing 1 or 2 tons of garbage

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. jerrieric

jerrieric
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jul 7, 2008
    Loc:
    Windham Me
    Probably depends on what kind of stove you have
    Ravelli Dynamic System
    rds-HD.jpg

RDS, the fire follows our rules

RDS. Or Ravelli Dynamic System. RDS is Ravelli’s innovative system for automatically regulating combustion parameters and ensuring maximum efficiency and safety from your stove. RDS is a brand new concept in the field of biomass fuelled heating. The system is the expression of an intelligent and environmentally compatible new technology developed thanks to major investments in R&D and close cooperation with the Technical Physics department of the Mechanical Engineering faculty of the University of Brescia.

Dynamic operation, more efficient,
    safer and cheaper

Normal variations in pellet quality, flue draft, altitude above sea level and operating temperature make it impossible for conventional stoves to achieve optimal efficiency. Ravelli’s exclusive RDS system automatically varies combustion parameters to maintain optimum combustion parameters and ensure maximum efficiency.

5. Darkwing

Darkwing
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 11, 2018
    Loc:
    New Jersey
    So and how do i get this magic weapon?
    Besides buying new 10 grant stove?

6. Dataman

Dataman
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Sep 10, 2018
    Loc:
    Newport, Wa
    I have tried 3 Different Brands on my Harmon XXV (New this year). No Difference in them I can tell.

North Idaho Energy
    Plus 2 others (Too lazy to go look).

Going NI next year because 4 bags had water in them and ruined some

7. jerrieric

jerrieric
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jul 7, 2008
    Loc:
    Windham Me
    Yeah it's pricey I paid around 3500 including install. But if you shop around I'm sure you might be able to get it cheaper. The only thing with the stove is you can't buy parts online for Ravalli keeps it close to the vest. By online I mean aftermarket. I did have one issue with the air temp sensor but that was solved Within a day when I called the dealer. Here is a pick of the glass after a 5 day 120 hour burn.

Attached Files:

8. Darkwing

Darkwing
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 11, 2018
    Loc:
    New Jersey
    Hmmm...the recommended ones from you are not available here...to sad...
    But i try to keep getting info...seems to be a big mysterium around pellets

9. jerrieric

jerrieric
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jul 7, 2008
    Loc:
    Windham Me
    Yeah I'm thinking the pellets aren't giving me any issues because of all the electronics in the stove. Ask me in a few years if everything starts to go south if it was worth it. The install includes the people l running it until it gets up to Temp and then they go into the control panel which is protected for service people only and set the pellet feed rate, air flow cetera. I've only gone through about six tons so far and it's working perfectly. As you can see in the pictures the back is called firex600 when its burning clean like you can see in the picture everything's working fine.

10. Freezn

Freezn
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 31, 2018
    Loc:
    North Of Boston, MA
    Tons of wood pellet reviews by brand can be found here: https://woodpelletreviews.com/

Most of the reviews seem to be genuine and honest.... but like everything else...take them with a grain of salt (or ash in this case).

11. Darkwing

Darkwing
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 11, 2018
    Loc:
    New Jersey
    Looks like i life in the wrong area...nit a single pellet company in a 50 mile range...
    Hope in spring the pellets will get cheaper again...at 5+ $ per bag its a pretty pricey toy

12. jerrieric

jerrieric
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jul 7, 2008
    Loc:
    Windham Me
    Yeah I agree with you $5 means 250-ton pretty pricey.
    But we sure got used to the warmth. I'm already working with a supplier to get a spring price

13. jpeterson2322

jpeterson2322
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Feb 11, 2018
    Loc:
    Kewaskum, WI
    Best bet is to see what locals in your area do. I bought from big box store but then my neighbor recommended a farming coop that also sells. It costs me $35 more for a skid of 60- 40lb bags but that's delivered in my garage. I don't have to manually load and unload for what I feel are a better pellet. My main things is little dust out of the bag and short pellets, long ones make a binding noise on the augers sometimes. Don't care about hard or soft as long as they burn.