Anyone ever get a skidder stuck?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

duramaxman05

Minister of Fire
Aug 17, 2014
Perryville, Mo
Title pretty much explains it.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1521058345398.jpg
    FB_IMG_1521058345398.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 815
We broke both choker cables trying to get it out. This is a timberjack 450b
We had to get the lumberjack 380c to get it out. And it still took some pulling to get out

Looks like a good time. Hope it’s got a big winch on it or you have some heavy cable & dozer or excavator to drag it out.

Now you know why they have those
massive 50 ton winches on the front and rear
We use a matched pair of perchron
they never get stuck then again we keep them
out of the mud . I do not allow heavy equipment
in my bush they do to much damage as you can
see from that picture

The funny thing is I backed up in the same spot and pulled a tree out right before this. The second time was a big tree and it spun just a little. Next thing I know, here we are. Lol. This was along an old rail road track. The tree I was trying to get out was around 5ft across the stump. I remember bucking it up and it was up to my chest and I'm 6'1".

Sounds like the ground around here in the spring.
The ground will look nice and dry,it will hold you up for one pass.Don't drive on your tracks again or you will find yourself in 3 ft of gumbo clay mud.
By the end of may it starts being safe.

Reactions: duramaxman05
B6331BDE-58FC-4628-962E-DECF3861F54E.jpeg
I’ve never gotten log equipment stuck but I have been stuck in other things.... there’s lots of clay up here in NW Wisconsin and the soil doesn’t drain well at all and this was at the bottom of a gentle hill. You can see where I got stuck the first time, then I pulled the mower out with the ATV then dummy me I came around, stopped and thought I’d back out... nope! I was stuck again. lol.

Would tire chains been of any help?

View attachment 224578 I’ve never gotten log equipment stuck but I have been stuck in other things.... there’s lots of clay up here in NW Wisconsin and the soil doesn’t drain well at all and this was at the bottom of a gentle hill. You can see where I got stuck the first time, then I pulled the mower out with the ATV then dummy me I came around, stopped and thought I’d back out... nope! I was stuck again. lol.

Looks all to familiar, same mower, same situation. Then I got rid of the turf tires and put on bar tread tires, no more getting stuck, at least not as easily. They do tend to tear up your yard tho if your not careful when turning around.

Looks all to familiar, same mower, same situation. Then I got rid of the turf tires and put on bar tread tires, no more getting stuck, at least not as easily. They do tend to tear up your yard tho if your not careful when turning around.
Well the situation was, was that it was the first mow after the winter thaw and it had rained some too. Plus like I said it was at the bottom of a gradual hill. Zero turns are already hard on lawns if you turn tight so I don’t want to get more aggressive tires.... That lawn size is 3 acres and the rest of the lawn mowed ok. I mow 22 rural cabin yards up here in the summer. The lawn here is a neighbors of mine. He only comes up twice a year.

Last edited:
View attachment 224613
For me, no. They’d tear up a lawn. But up here I see lots of logging equipment like forwarders with huge chains on the tires but I think if it’s too soupy chains won’t help much.

By the time I typed the response to the skid being stuck , your response showed up. I was referring to chains on the skidder.

The only time my father in law runs chains is in the winter time and in the summer when the weeds are real stemy and slick. It's like driving in the mud. The skidder shown is a lumberjack 450b. He used to have a lumberjack 380c and they both don't get around as good as his clarks. The 380 was terrible about getting around. He sold it this past year and replaced it with a Clark 666 with grapple. He also has a Clark 664. The 2 Clarks are just about unstoppable. They will go more places than those 2 timberjacks won't go and will give the 2 big timberjacks a hard way to go pulling too

Reactions: Sean McGillicuddy
The only time my father in law runs chains is in the winter time and in the summer when the weeds are real stemy and slick. It's like driving in the mud. The skidder shown is a lumberjack 450b. He used to have a lumberjack 380c and they both don't get around as good as his clarks. The 380 was terrible about getting around. He sold it this past year and replaced it with a Clark 666 with grapple. He also has a Clark 664. The 2 Clarks are just about unstoppable. They will go more places than those 2 timberjacks won't go and will give the 2 big timberjacks a hard way to go pulling too
So I take it you always have plenty of wood for the stove? The loggers up here are getting $80 a logger cord for 10-12 cords delivered. Right now they are logging the county highways so there’s miles and miles of stacked logs all along the roads...l I just keep driving by with them with my tongue hangin’ Low and drooling at all the nice wood stacks. I might have to get a permit from the county to go in and do some cleanup after they’re done.

Yes I have a good supply of wood. And actually 2 years ago the did some logging a couple miles down the road from my house. There were 2 huge stacks of full logs just sitting there. So I decided to give them a call and ended up buying them. I couldn't pass up the deal. $400 for 6-7 tractor trailer loads of logs. 90% is all nice white oak about 16"to 20" diamater.

Reactions: Lone_Gun
Yes I have a good supply of wood. And actually 2 years ago the did some logging a couple miles down the road from my house. There were 2 huge stacks of full logs just sitting there. So I decided to give them a call and ended up buying them. I couldn't pass up the deal. $400 for 6-7 tractor trailer loads of logs. 90% is all nice white oak about 16"to 20" diamater.
Oh wow, that was a good deal!

He used to have a lumberjack 380c and they both don't get around as good as his clarks. The 380 was terrible about getting around. He sold it this past year and replaced it with a Clark 666 with grapple. He also has a Clark 664. The 2 Clarks are just about unstoppable. They will go more places than those 2 timberjacks won't go and will give the 2 big timberjacks a hard way to go pulling too

I know this isn't a logging forum HOWEVER I have to respectfully disagree regarding timberjack vs. clark-ranger! the timberjack I feel has an advantage due to the fact that the clark-ranger only has one hydraulic pump to run everything as compared to the ''newer'' timberjacks which have 2 pumps . also the old timberjacks will beat any machine out there on sidehills. I'm talking the old 225s and so on

I know this isn't a logging forum HOWEVER I have to respectfully disagree regarding timberjack vs. clark-ranger! the timberjack I feel has an advantage due to the fact that the clark-ranger only has one hydraulic pump to run everything as compared to the ''newer'' timberjacks which have 2 pumps . also the old timberjacks will beat any machine out there on sidehills. I'm talking the old 225s and so on
I'm not saying the Clarks are faster, I'm just saying for there size they give the big machines a hard way to go. Both Clarks has 28l-26 tires so they are pretty stable. In the woods and getting trees out I will say the Clarks are better. But out in the open, without a doubt those timberjacks will run away. Even with multiple logs. The 2 timberjacks he has are very stable machines. They are big and wide. But for what ever reason they don't get around as good. I can take you to a place where I helped him. Couple years ago and we had the 380c tj and the 664 Clark. The hill we were pulling up the the Clark would pull logs up the hill and the 380 would barely make it up and it had chains on the back. We bent the fender on the 380 and we hooked the Clark cable up to it and the little Clark drug the 380. I should have takin a video of it. I would have never thought it would do that. I guess what I'm getting at is for the physical size difference between the 2 Clarks and the 2 to, the Clarks hold there own. I myself like running the tj better. They are more comfortable. The little c larks are definitely easier to get around with in the woods and to haul from job to job.