Anyone have a Nest T-stat?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Waterworker123

Oct 18, 2014
Maine
I was wondering if anyone has a nest T-stat and if they like it? I would like to monitor my P68 when I'm away from home.

I'm curious about this as well. Would you be just using it as a monitor, or would you actually control the stove with it? I would love to control my stove with it but it appears that it's not milivolt capable. I also wouldn't want to lose my stoves ability to modulate output based on room temp::DT.

Just did a search and came up with a wifi thermometer on amazon. Allows web access for less than $60.

I'm curious about this as well. Would you be just using it as a monitor, or would you actually control the stove with it? I would love to control my stove with it but it appears that it's not milivolt capable. I also wouldn't want to lose my stoves ability to modulate output based on room temp::DT.
I would like to monitor and control the stove if needed in the course of the day. I was hoping that someone would chime in on this that might have one.

Why not just set your thermostat to a desired temperature and leave it there?

I do not have a nest, but I do have 2 wifi enabled Honeywell thermostats on my HVAC system. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to use the nest. The only issue may be that I believe you need a C-wire to power the nest (not sure if it can be run of batteries). Typically the wifi tstats use the C-wire because they use too much power and chew through batteries.

My experience with the Honeywell wifi tstats has been good. Nice to be able to check temperatures at the house and receive alerts when you lose power or when certain temperatures are being seen by the thermostat.

I don't own a nest, but do have the entry Honeywell wi-fi tstat wired to my oil furnace. Even if you forget the wifi feature, it is a dream to be able to program the thing on a PC where you can see clearly all of the programming cycles at once. I live by myself and am not always at home on a regular schedule, so it saved me hundreds of $$ there is no doubt. Staying an extra night at the ski resort, no problem, whip out the phone and keep the temp at 50 back at home.

I just got my pellet stove and have been debating hooking it up to the wifi stat or buying another one. I've not see one for $60, at that price point I might just bite. I kinda like the oil furnace being on wifi as a backup in case the stove runs out of pellets or has some other problem. I have yet to do the research, but I'm sure for <$50 there is some wifi widget that has a set of dry contacts that would let me turn on or off the stove. If you are looking for monitoring only, you can buy a wifi thermometer in this price range as well.

Being a self professed geek, I have put on my list of things I would like to do some day to set up my own controller. Google "rasberry pie", that would be the hardware platform. I would take the hi-med-low switch out of my quadra fire and let the controller set the speed depending on things like internal actual vs set temp and outdoor temp. One of the pet peeves with my honeywell wifi tstat is it only allows for 4 programs per day. That's total BS with todays technology, they should offer 6 or 8 minimum.

I have played with the nest and is has a really nice feel and very cool GUI, but I would never pay $250, I just too damn cheap to pay that much for 'cool'.

I do know that the nest is not milivolt compatible. It can be used by having it control a relay which makes and breaks the circuit on the stoves control board. You would also need a transformer for the C wire as xSpecBx has mentioned and that same transformer could be use to power your relay.

I just got my pellet stove and have been debating hooking it up to the wifi stat or buying another one. I've not see one for $60, at that price point I might just bite.
The link I posted is not a thermostat, it is simply a thermometer that allow web access to keep an eye on the temp in your home.

I don't own a nest, but do have the entry Honeywell wi-fi tstat wired to my oil furnace. Even if you forget the wifi feature, it is a dream to be able to program the thing on a PC where you can see clearly all of the programming cycles at once. I live by myself and am not always at home on a regular schedule, so it saved me hundreds of $$ there is no doubt. Staying an extra night at the ski resort, no problem, whip out the phone and keep the temp at 50 back at home.

I just got my pellet stove and have been debating hooking it up to the wifi stat or buying another one. I've not see one for $60, at that price point I might just bite. I kinda like the oil furnace being on wifi as a backup in case the stove runs out of pellets or has some other problem. I have yet to do the research, but I'm sure for <$50 there is some wifi widget that has a set of dry contacts that would let me turn on or off the stove. If you are looking for monitoring only, you can buy a wifi thermometer in this price range as well.

Being a self professed geek, I have put on my list of things I would like to do some day to set up my own controller. Google "rasberry pie", that would be the hardware platform. I would take the hi-med-low switch out of my quadra fire and let the controller set the speed depending on things like internal actual vs set temp and outdoor temp. One of the pet peeves with my honeywell wifi tstat is it only allows for 4 programs per day. That's total BS with todays technology, they should offer 6 or 8 minimum.

I have played with the nest and is has a really nice feel and very cool GUI, but I would never pay $250, I just too damn cheap to pay that much for 'cool'.
Thank you for your input. I think I will look into the Honeywell t-stat.

Status
Not open for further replies.