Anyone have their smokebox smoketite'd ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lars33

Nov 17, 2011
midwest US
HI All,
I bought a 1960s house last summer which has two fireplaces; one in the basement, one in the living room. I had a sweep come by yesterday to inspect everything. He recommended spraying smoketite on the smoke chamber for $1000. His concern was about creosote gathering on the "stair-stepping" of the brick edges used to build-up the interior of the smokebox.

I don't see much creosote build up in the smoke box. There is a little "fuzzy stuff" on some areas but it looks like it could be brushed off fairly easily if I could get up in there with a brush/shop-vac.

Any real reason to smoketite the thing? The flue was in great shape and the sweep didn't point out any other concerns regarding the condition of the fireplace or chimney.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.