Anyone in the path of totality tomorrow?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

WoodyIsGoody

Minister of Fire
Jan 16, 2017
Pacific NW Washington
I understand electric utilities will be monitoring power levels very closely tomorrow as they bring additional generating capacity on-line to make up for the deficit of solar electricity tomorrow during the solar eclipse.

I am not travelling for this one and will only see a partial eclipse but those of you who will be in the path of totality have a rare treat awaiting you. I recommend this app to see when and how it will look in your area:

https://eyes.jpl.nasa.gov/eyes-on-eclipse-web-app.html

It is supposed to travel right over my location in Nebraska but wouldn't you know it they are calling for a cloudy day with possible t-storms.

Woodpro WS-TS-2000

It is supposed to travel right over my location in Nebraska but wouldn't you know it they are calling for a cloudy day with possible t-storms.

Woodpro WS-TS-2000

That sounds like possibility for some visual drama!

Was fun to watch. I was only in the 90 some % totality but it still kicked on all the street lights.

Was fun to watch. I was only in the 90 some % totality but it still kicked on all the street lights.

I only had about 80%. This is what I got:

upload_2017-8-21_13-4-32.png upload_2017-8-21_13-8-20.png

I had to improvise.

Attachments

• upload_2017-8-21_13-8-15.png
    upload_2017-8-21_13-8-15.png
    414.6 KB · Views: 200
Last edited by a moderator:
There was only one thunderstorm on radar for hundreds of miles around here. And it was just a mile wide and moved right with the eclipse right over our house. Just had a cloud covered downpour. Glad I didn't bother to get any glasses.

There was only one thunderstorm on radar for hundreds of miles around here. And it was just a mile wide and moved right with the eclipse right over our house. Just had a cloud covered downpour. Glad I didn't bother to get any glasses.

That's just bad luck. There will be another one in 7 years but you would need to travel to see it.

I set up a 4" scope and projected a 80% partial to a small crowd....some scattered clouds added visual interest.

I saw the almost 7 minute total in 1991, and didn't feel like driving to SC from here (and it was cloudy there anyway).

Marking my calendar for the 'Delores Claireborne' PA to Maine total eclipse on April 8th, 2024.

Reactions: WoodyIsGoody
I understand electric utilities will be monitoring power levels very closely tomorrow as they bring additional generating capacity on-line to make up for the deficit of solar electricity tomorrow during the solar eclipse.

It did make a difference. I was in the 78% zone and you can see the eclipse maximum at 10:15

36549746772_2dc20eb023_o.jpg

It is interesting eh? I guess that's what all the "surges" are about. The output goes low and then bang. Inductance, inertia, I dunno. Sometimes the display looks like lighting, but they even it out by the next day.

Or maybe the lower output cools the panels down and they flow a lot more current on the instant on? I dunno, but I've seen it lots.

I went to eastern Oregon to view the total eclipse. It was awesome, though too brief. Temp dropped 19 degrees. We had an astronomer among us that caught some excellent shots. And there were all sorts of fun amateur displays. I like this colander view.

20915330_10155648253714592_8255787504358673889_n.jpg

Another cool shot was taken off the ferry going to Whidbey Island, where the sun's crescent was projected onto a fog bank.

20933800_1735314346488311_4308948768896266085_o.jpg

My shot of totality, with the powerful energy of the corona revealed.

eclipse14.jpg

Last edited: