Anyone Know the Size of Damper Screw for St Croix

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogieb

Minister of Fire
Oct 31, 2014
South Central NH
I'm trying to dial in my St Croix damper, but the stove didn't come with the set screw so I can't make fine adjustments. Apparently I am too fumble fingered to dial it in with just the handle. I have poured over the manual but don't see any part numbers for either the damper or the screw. If someone could just tell me the size/pitch of the native screw, I could probably get one that is close enough at my local hardware store.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

It's just a sheet metal screw on mine, don't know the size. Pay attention to the directions in that when backing the screw out, you need to move the damper yourself. The screw is just a stop - it won't pull the damper when you back it out.

Okay. Thanks for the reminder on also having to physically move the damper after adjusting the screw - I know I read it, but reminders are always good (thus the massive amount of stickies on my monitor - LOL)

Hello,

I have was on the phone with St. Croix about 3 weeks ago with various questions.

The tech told me that I should take a pencil and hold the eraser end in the damper and close the flap down to the point where it is just touching the eraser.

It sure seemed like that would be more closed off than I would want, but it works great.

By the way, my damper does not even come with a set screw. There is no hole to even install one. I used the pencil trick, and adjusted by hand.

Hope this helps.

Hello,

I have was on the phone with St. Croix about 3 weeks ago with various questions.

The tech told me that I should take a pencil and hold the eraser end in the damper and close the flap down to the point where it is just touching the eraser.

It sure seemed like that would be more closed off than I would want, but it works great.

By the way, my damper does not even come with a set screw. There is no hole to even install one. I used the pencil trick, and adjusted by hand.

Hope this helps.

I had read of the pencil trick in other threads (maybe something you mentioned elsewhere) - wish I had read those this weekend as I was setting up the stove. I have it really close, just a tinge on the lazy side and hope to get it perfect (yeah, I know - no such thing). I had a hard time believing that the damper would need to be closed as much as it is too - seems weird.

My Harding is an older stove (2008) and has the hole, but no screw. Course it didn't come with the pot scraper or rod pull tool either. And, to get a screw in there, I'll have to pull the OAK as I installed it over that hole before I realized what it was for (read ahead? Me? nah, just one step at a time - ha).

Status
Not open for further replies.