Anyone run a killawatt with the 25 PDV variants? Curious to startup watts.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sam08861

Jan 30, 2019
NW NJ
Forgot to install the killawatt before first startup to check the starting watts/amps, as tomorrow is 'start the snowblowers and generators to make sure they work' day.

Was going to try a startup with an approx 800w gas power inverter. (that sportsman at Home depot) and don't think it will have a problem with the motors, but wasn't sure how much the heating element draws at startup.

The attraction for a small genset is how long I can run it in the event of a 10 day blackout without going out for gas. Learned from Sandy that refilling the bigger genset every 5-6hours with 4 gallons is a pain and I can only store so much, without risk of it going bad. 10 gals should last 10 nights with this genset, if I run off my solar and batteries during the day and into the evening.

Other than this stove, the only bare bones survival thing i need is the refrigerator (and that's only because we have bears with supersmell nearby, otherwise in freezing temps, I could simply put them in a lockbox outside) as my water heater/stoves are gas and the fridge will be run off solar, as it hardly draws more than 50 watts and might get up to 120 watts when first plugged in and during the initial cooling, which shouldn't be a scenario I'll face anyway. About 10x more efficient than the unit it replaced.