Anyone US doing a new boiler install or a boiler upgrade because of the new tax money out there?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
It's tempting for sure but still waiting for finalized details from .gov on which boilers and how much of the install can be claimed for the credit. I would like to try a Varm 450 but realistically my Attacks are fulfilling my heating needs. The Varm looks easier to clean but since I've modified one of my Attacks for easier HX tube brushing there is probably not much gain to be had.

I do plan to give Tarm biomass a call once things settle out so see if it impacts their lines. I missed out on a deal a few years back when they got stuck with some inventory that would not meet new standards. I was not in position to jump then. I think they were careful at this time. A Froling is on the wish list but my 1982 vintage Burnham just will not wear out;)

Reactions: Bad LP and GENECOP
From what I hear the IRS still hasn't given specific guidance tho the tax credit is already here. Weird situation.

From what I hear the IRS still hasn't given specific guidance tho the tax credit is already here. Weird situation.
With the virus it tough to get many answers from the tax folks. When we had our pre end of the year tax meeting with our tax guy it was a series of emails and back then my Garn wasn't leaking so I wasn't looking into tax breaks. Trying to get many answers from him this time of the year is tough. This year its setup to drop off our records and he will do them and call if he has any questions. One wood boiler dealer I spoke with in the last couple months told me with the lower energy costs the last several years he is almost out of the wood boil business. I was just curious if this tax beak will sell some boilers.

Sure looks like several years of cheaper energy costs is not going to help these wood boiler dealers sell some new units with the tax credits.

Sure looks like several years of cheaper energy costs is not going to help these wood boiler dealers sell some new units with the tax credits.
That cheaper energy cost appears to be heading for the moon.
There is not a chance that dumping our energy independence is in our best interest.
It would have to be one hell of a great program to have me even think about taking out a perfectly good working boiler.

Now that the Democrats are in charge you can kiss your low energy prices goodby.
Started the rise in price on day 1 of their mismanagement

If one agrees with the well proven premise that human caused Global Warming exists, then fossil energy costs will rise. One gallon of heating fuel is abut 24 lbs of carbon. Natural Gas is 117 pounds per million BTU (Propane is 139 lbs) The current low fossil energy costs are the results of a multiyear trade war between many parties to drive out competition particularly US enhanced recovery techniques by allowing the price to sink low enough long enough to drive the highly leveraged US firms out of the market. The price will drift up but once its hits a certain level then higher costs producers will rush back into the market to catch the higher prices. Switching over stationary fossil heating sources is relatively low hanging fruit.

Wood heating wise I would rather be somewhat in control of my destiny heating with locally sourced wood along with living in an efficient home that chasing the inevitable ups and downs of fossil when I can.

Reactions: sloeffle
Although there is a new twist to the human caused global warming...
Seems like the world warmed even faster when the humans were on a time out during the last year.
Hmmm lets see the discussions now acknowledging that intersting turn of events that nobody predicted...

Now that the Democrats are in charge you can kiss your low energy prices goodby.
Started the rise in price on day 1 of their mismanagement
Prices were rising before the election. Bush had expensive gas, it actually got way cheaper with the next president. Perhaps the person in the white house has nothing to do with energy prices...

Although there is a new twist to the human caused global warming...
Seems like the world warmed even faster when the humans were on a time out during the last year.
Hmmm lets see the discussions now acknowledging that intersting turn of events that nobody predicted...
Think about it like a wood stove. It doesn't react immediately up on changing the air controls. The planet is much larger than a stove and not really going to show changes right away.

Prices were rising before the election. Bush had expensive gas, it actually got way cheaper with the next president. Perhaps the person in the white house has nothing to do with energy prices...
Prices were not going up very far and clearly they didn't rise over .30 cents in a couple of weeks.

Think about it like a wood stove. It doesn't react immediately up on changing the air controls. The planet is much larger than a stove and not really going to show changes right away.
We are talking about almost a year and changes have been measured.

Reactions: Eureka
Think Keystone...

Qualifying products (any Biomass-fueled heater) must be at least 75% efficient per the Higher Heating Value (HHV) of the fuel. Biomass heaters must be installed between January 1, 2021 and December 31, 2023. Any product that meets this efficiency rating purchased in 2020 but installed in 2021 can be claimed for this Tax Credit on the 2021 tax return. Products must be claimed on the tax return of the year they were installed.

Prices were not going up very far and clearly they didn't rise over .30 cents in a couple of weeks.
Where were you in 07-09?! Gas hit over $4/gallon in many places, basically overnight. In 2015 Gas was less than $2/gallon in most states. The president doesn't control gas prices. You guys keep saying democrats make high gas prices, but they seem to do the opposite.

Reactions: TCaldwell
Where were you in 07-09?! Gas hit over $4/gallon in many places, basically overnight. In 2015 Gas was less than $2/gallon in most states. The president doesn't control gas prices. You guys keep saying democrats make high gas prices, but they seem to do the opposite.
You missed my point. We didn't have a fella cutting off a major energy pipeline in our own country that helped lower our energy costs across the board. #2 heating oil was 1.59 in Oct. 1.89 in Dec2020 and 2.04 last month. I have delivery slips for over 5000 gallons for the Dec and Jan drops. I can't wait for the cost increases coming for my LP deliveries up north.
Oh and I was still running up to Maine on average 2X a month at over 200.00 per round trip back then. That's when I said screw this and hired a guy to cut the grass.
I'm still not cutting the grass because he's still doing it.

I'm waiting for the G4000 to be added to the EPA certified list, and then I plan on pulling the trigger.

Interesting infographic on the subject. I found it after some quick googling and make no claims as to it's accuracy. It came out a little small so I'll link it too. https://www.idrivesafely.com/defens...rats-vs-republicans-gas-prices-last-100-years

19401_251424fecdcf4035b06d616cb8199324_1526503262.jpeg

Interesting infographic on the subject. I found it after some quick googling and make no claims as to it's accuracy. It came out a little small so I'll link it too. https://www.idrivesafely.com/defens...rats-vs-republicans-gas-prices-last-100-years

View attachment 274327
Even leaving out the big spike in prices during Bush Jr's second term the last 40 years have seen lower prices under democrats. The infographic being nine years old is a bit dated, but it does prove the point.

If you guys want to debate the price of gasoline maybe you should start another thread in the Inglenook. I don't think the OP cares about the price of gasoline.