Are all or most splitter fluid filters the same size?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

WiscWoody

Minister of Fire
Dec 24, 2011
Winter WI
I looked in my splitter manual for information but there Isn’t any information on what hydraulic fluid filter I should get for a replacement on my splitter. The filter that is on there now just says it’s a cellulose type with a 25 micron filtration specification and to change it every 100 hours which is about what I have on it now. I wander if I could use a engine oil filter on it? And I wander if the hydraul filter and for the most part the same size?

Reactions: VirginiaIron
There should be a part number on that filter somewhere. Places like napa and others (or the interwebz) can cross reference for compatible filters. They are not all the same.

Reactions: Deets and WiscWoody
There should be a part number on that filter somewhere. Places like napa and others (or the interwebz) can cross reference for compatible filters. They are not all the same.

Came to say this. If you can't find data on the recommended filter for your unit, and the filter doesn't have any visible markings, drain it, and take it in to your best local parts store and see if they can measure it and match it up and find you a suitable replacement. I would not use a standard automotive oil filter, different flows, micron size, and purpose.

I did exactly what DodgyNomad did last fall. Just brought the old one to Napa and they matched it.

Reactions: WiscWoody
Engine oil filters are much smaller flow rating two or 3 gallons a minute compared to 20 gallons a minute. They also have a smaller post and threads. hydraulic filters have a bypass built into the head not in the element. Most engine oil filters have their bypass built into the spin on element. Most hydraulic filters of the small spin on size are one of two standards. One is an SAE 1 inch fine thread center post, the other version is a metric I think 25 or 26 mm thread very close to 1 inch but not the same. Then you have cellulose or micro glass fiber either one will work fine. I would run a 10 µm not a 25.
I have a list of about 10 crossover filters, but I’m not at that computer. Basically any spin on 1 inch center post with about the 4 inch diameter is going to be the SAE standard with many different brand names that would fit. That does not imply they’re all the same quality but they all interchange

Reactions: WiscWoody and Jags
I looked closer at the filter and it says it’s a model 60001, 25 micron filter. I think I will take it to a Napa store and see what they say. Thanks for the ideas!

I looked closer at the filter and it says it’s a model 60001, 25 micron filter. I think I will take it to a Napa store and see what they say. Thanks for the ideas!
That should be a wix 51551 10 micron...Napa will have, or can cross that for sure.

Reactions: WiscWoody