Are any of the aftermarket Harman igniters worth messing with or do I bite the bullet and go OEM?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SciGuy

Feeling the Heat
Aug 17, 2007
Constableville, NY
After 4 additional years on my probably at least 10 year old P-43, I've come to realize that in all likelihood the igniter has already reached or excited it's normal longevity and I really ought to have a spare on hand. I see several inexpensive after market units are out there which seem to have mixed reviews. Have any of you had good luck with any of these cheapies or should I just bite the bullet and go for an OEM unit? Sometimes saving a buck isn't worth the associated headaches.

Thanks for any informed replies.

Hugh

Aftermarket, as most all Harman stoves the igniter is easy to replace.
There was a bad run of Harman ones, but that was years ago.
So, aftermarket, but from a major supplier-ESES, Mountainview, Woodsmans, Stoves and spas, etc.

There was just a post on FB I think where a guy got 2 on Amazon and they popped the fuse on the board immediatly. For as long as the OEM last I would stick with OEM. Dont make sense to have a Harman stove and put PelPro quality parts on it. :) We sell the OEM for $137.00 Probably cheaper online. I think they were about $110 last year. I run in auto in the basement and it probably goes thru 10 plus ignition cycles daily and is several years old now. Probably equates out to maybe $20/yr? I like OEM, I am a fix it properly and forget it kinda guy.

Rick, thanks for your thoughts on this. I've had exceptional longevity from the original so far and I'm sure it's doing more than 10 cycles per day in the shoulder seasons. I always wonder if the exact same part may exist out there in the wild without the $$$$ Harman markup.

Hugh

I got an after market ignitor for my Enviro stove. It was a little longer than the OEM so a bit tricky to install but so far so good. NOW! It cost me I think about $35 instead of $110. The one I replaced was the original and about 12 years old so the question is will I need to buy 3 aftermarket ignitors to get me through the next 12 years. Time will tell... but it does work.

Reactions: Mt Bob
Installed a Made in USA Pellethead igniter on our Accentra this year and it works fine. I dare say it starts faster than the factory unit.

Reactions: Mt Bob
Installed a Made in USA Pellethead igniter on our Accentra this year and it works fine. I dare say it starts faster than the factory unit.
Thanks for the input Smiley. That's a good data point. I'm still waffling. If we could look into the future and see it lasting 6+ years I'd be even more swayed.

Hugh

Reactions: Smiley67
Thanks for the input Smiley. That's a good data point. I'm still waffling. If we could look into the future and see it lasting 6+ years I'd be even more swayed.

Hugh
I just replaced a 7 year old Pellethead ignitor in my Accentra, and went with another Pellethead as I think they work very well.

Reactions: Mt Bob and SciGuy
I just replaced a 7 year old Pellethead ignitor in my Accentra, and went with another Pellethead as I think they work very well.
Well that's an excellent data point! That's certainly a decent life span for an igniter.