Are bent chains fixable?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisN

Feeling the Heat
Nov 19, 2005
Southeastern, Ct
Hey, This has happened twice to me in the last couple of years: My saw throws a chain and when I put it back on the bar it won't align correctly in the channel. As if one or more of the channel guides on the bottom of the chain are out of alignment. Visually I can't see anything out of line. Does anyone know if I can rescue these chains? thanks.

Chris

yes, usually its just some burrs on the bottom of the chain. You should be able to file it to fit.
If you can not see the problem then put extra oil on the bar and line up the top teeth with the chain belly hanging free. Start it up. Sometimes it will be very stiff and you can not move the chain by hand. If you get it running then stop and tighten it up. It will adjust itself once its running.

Snowtime is correct, but be aware: if you don't get them fairly accurate it can cause additional wear to your bar.

I killed a bar doing the bent chain thing. Chains are cheap! Toss it and get another. Bars are expensive on the other hand!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.