Are metal screws necessary to secure stovepipe joints?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunks

Oct 27, 2009
Ulster Cty, NY
I have an 18" stovepipe going from the stove top to a 90-degree elbow and then to a 12" stovepipe to the chimney. If I secure the joints with metal screws I have to move the stove every time I want to clean the pipes. Or I have to take the screws out and then remove the pipe sections. Any suggestions? Advice?

Gunks said:

Use screws, take the extra effort to clean, and develop good burning habits until there's rarely if ever anything in the pipes to clean.

The stove system can experience internal pressure transients of sufficient magnitude to separate a stovepipe joint if not secured by screws. This can result in the introduction of poisonous flue gasses into the living space. I highly recommend three screws in every joint. Rick

BLIMP said:
i dont screw unless necessary but it can keep the pipes together for easier removal

I once nearly got the upper half of a direct-connect stuck in the chimney thanks to no screws!

BLIMP said:
in face of disagreement i resuggest the tee instead of elbow so u can brush both pipes in place without removal?

Nobody here disagreed with your tee suggestion, BLIMP. Nobody even commented on it. If a tee is installed, fine...in any case, screws should be used in the pipe joints. Rick

BLIMP said:
in face of disagreement i resuggest the tee instead of elbow so u can brush both pipes in place without removal?
The T with a cap is an excellent idea Just paint the roof White.

Yes screw it and also furnace cement on the joints

cptoneleg said:
BLIMP said:
The T with a cap is an excellent idea Just paint the roof White.
good point= ALL ROOFS SHOULD BE WHITE!

Doesn't even take a chimney fire. A sudden volatile gases "poof" in the stove can lay that pipe right out in the floor. Every time one of those things happens I look at the screws and say "Thanks guys.". And go back to reading my book. Instead of going into emergency mode.

Screws are a cheap safety addon. Don't know if there was a precursor to the problem but they do not have screws in the pipe at the club cabin; we were moving furniture around and I guess it was the vibration from the furniture against the floor but one of the joints separated.

It's worth the extra effort.

n3pro said:
Screws are a cheap safety addon. Don't know if there was a precursor to the problem but they do not have screws in the pipe at the club cabin; we were moving furniture around and I guess it was the vibration from the furniture against the floor but one of the joints separated.

With little self tappers its hardly an effort. ;-)

cptoneleg said:
n3pro said:

I never have been able to get those things to work. Always end up grabbing a drill.

BrotherBart said:
cptoneleg said:
n3pro said:

I never have been able to get those things to work. Always end up grabbing a drill.

I do too I always predrill alittle hole. Then they work fine point was put screws in. :exclaim: somehow

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: All joints should be screwed and sealed to do it the right way. That includes securing the pipe into your stove with cement and screws. People don't always do this, but it is the correct way if you want a safe, sealed system.

Being a firm believer that chit happens, I wouldn't consider the job done until those 3 screws per joint were in. And I wouldn't burn in the stove, period. After a very rousing backpuff with the Castine, I learned to really appreciate knowing that the system is solid and acting as one piece. Haven't had an earthquake with this setup yet, but it's another reason that I don't mess around with leaving out the screws. Installing them is trivial and good insurance. When all hell breaks loose the last thing you want to be worrying about is missing 3 cent screws.

stoveguy2esw said:
even after reading all the excellent reasons given for screws in the pipe joints i'll add one thing , not screwing the joints on any slip connections will leikely not meet code

I was reading along wondering why no one had mentioned the plain and simple fact that this is a code requirement . . . thanks for mentioning it Mike . . . of course, the other responses were just as good and appropriate (if not better) -- truth is . . . screws are cheap, easy to take out and re-install and probably one of the simplest things you can do to make sure the pipe stays together regardless of what happens in the stove.

firefighterjake said:
stoveguy2esw said:
even after reading all the excellent reasons given for screws in the pipe joints i'll add one thing , not screwing the joints on any slip connections will leikely not meet code

I was reading along wondering why no one had mentioned the plain and simple fact that this is a code requirement . . . thanks for mentioning it Mike . . . of course, the other responses were just as good and appropriate (if not better) -- truth is . . . screws are cheap, easy to take out and re-install and probably one of the simplest things you can do to make sure the pipe stays together regardless of what happens in the stove.

As anyone who's been around these forums for any length of time knows, there are lots of folks who don't want to hear simply the fact that something's a code requirement. They either think codes are written by politicians, or just think they're smarter than whoever does write them...or at least smarter than all those dummies out there who the codes are written for. Sometimes the reasoning behind a specific code provision isn't readily clear. In this case, however, I think it's pretty much a common sense no-brainer, and we've covered it from about all the few angles there are to it. Rick

BLIMP said:
i'd bet that 1 screw will work & further that if an explosion occurs, the mechanical releif from 1 screw[instead of 3] might save the stoveglass from cracking.

Place all the bets you want with your own appliances in your own home, BLIMP...that's not the kind of advice we dispense on these forums. Rick

They outperform plastic screws, but that is just my opinion..........

Status
Not open for further replies.