Are my Starlight Pellets my problem?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johndeere216

Dec 27, 2009
Beaver Falls Pa
I've been lurking around here for some time and am in need of some advice. I have a new Quad Santa Fe insert that I have been burning Greene Team pellets in without problem. Local Lowes was out of Greene team so I purchased some Starlight premium pellets. When I first opened them I noticed they were big. Some looked over 2 inches in length. They do burn, but my stove seems to have issues regulating them and they make a lot of ash. On high, the fire will range from just tickling the top of the pot to almost touching the plate that covers the heat exchanger. I am thinking that this may be because of either the length of the pellets or possibly their slow ignition. I did notice the first time I used them the ignition was slower than what I was used to from the Greene Team. Any thoughts? Thanks

Not many members have used these pellets. One who did experienced big clinkers.

As for having a hard time starting, it seems pretty obvious that the pellets are causing the slower starting & varying flame height (as long as you didn't change any settings on the stove while burning them). It may be due to the long pellet size....it allows less pellet "pieces" to get into the burn pot during ignition, compared to shorter (1/2-3/4") pellets.

Just a thought.

Have any other pellets available nearby?

I am using Starlight pellets this year for the first time. I also noticed that the flame is a little smaller than before, but this is fine for my USSC 6220. The longer size works better in it. I used some Greenway pellets lasts year and they were so short they jammed my auger. As for the clinkers I have had none so far this year with the Starlights. I live about 20 miles from where they are made. Five of us ordered 17 tons and got a good price. Also there is little fines in the bags and I clean the ash about every four days

Macman, no adjustments made, other than eventually turning the stove down to medium because I didn't want the flame getting as high as it was.

Boggsman, how long are your pellets? I measured a few of mine and they were right at 2 inches. I'm wondering if I just got ahold of a bad batch. I don't think they're supposed to be that long and labeled premium are they?

Most of them are about 1 inch long, but there are quite a few longer ones in them also. I just turned the feed up a little on high to get more heat and higher flame. They are burning better and with less ash and fines than the Kentucky Kernels I used last year.

Lowes took em back and I exchanged them for "Nature's Own". They're burning better in my stove. Fire is regulated better and they seem to be putting out more heat. Glad they are working for you Boggsman. Just goes to show that different pellets work better in different stoves I guess.

Did not see this thread before I posted mine. Ran out of okies, went to tractor and grabbed 10 bags.. Not liking them at all. 1 they are all around 2" long? Once I put them in the storage bin I noticed what looked like sticks or branches around 2" long? They don't burn as good, dirty up the glass quick, ash, etc. etc. etc.. Live and learn, went back to tractor to see what else they carry, rcvd. some Maine woods and they are much better but still not like the okies!!!

I am burning Starlights from TSC as well. I have had bags with the "long" pellets, but I me Englander stove likes them, burn nice and hot and very very little ash. The problem I am having is I have bags that all the pellets are like 1/4 to 1/2 inch long and they burn terrible. I can burn the long pellets all day and have very little ash, but the shorties fill the burnpot up with ash overnight. The long pellets are a light brown color, the shorties are usually green colored. I thought the first bag was just an oddity but I have several bags of the small ones. Anyone else seeing this same thing? I have attached a picture, the ones on the right are the shorties.

Bruce

Attachments

• starlightpellets.jpg
    starlightpellets.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 198
Status
Not open for further replies.