Asking the experts for help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TroyRoy

Jul 20, 2013
Troy,NY
Hello All: I'm new here and looking for some experienced help. My son has a condo with a ZC prefab metal firebox insert with a round damper. He presently has gas logs that are old, and need replacing since last year when there was a gas smell, that's when we shut the unit down, turned off the gas. Covered the glass doors with plastic to keep the cold draft from the room. He's looking to get this unit running again. the present surround has no vents, top or bottom no blower. the current logs give little or no heat into the room.
Could someone give me some ideas as to which set of Natural gas logs would give him the best heat into the room for the $$$

looking for unit with a remote and safety pilot

Thank You

Hello All: I'm new here and looking for some experienced help. My son has a condo with a ZC prefab metal firebox insert with a round damper. He presently has gas logs that are old, and need replacing since last year when there was a gas smell, that's when we shut the unit down, turned off the gas. Covered the glass doors with plastic to keep the cold draft from the room. He's looking to get this unit running again. the present surround has no vents, top or bottom no blower. the current logs give little or no heat into the room.
Could someone give me some ideas as to which set of Natural gas logs would give him the best heat into the room for the $$$

looking for unit with a remote and safety pilot

Thank You

Gas logs are "Decorative Appliances," i.e. they are not heater rated. In an inefficient ZC box they'll be sending gas dollars up the chimney & that set-up will always be cold. He needs to have a sealed-combustion gas-burner installed. It could be a free-standing stove on the hearth in front of the ZC box or an insert INSIDE the ZC box. He already has the gas line there. Might as well do it right if he wants a heat source...

X2 for a direct vent gas insert for that fireplace. Might have to be a small one (check out Enviro E20) or some modifications done to existing firebox. Either way, then you'll have a real heater, not a decorative appliance (the gas logset). Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.