Attack Boiler w/ 550G open storage install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Finished boiler overheat protection plumbing and added some storage temperature monitoring. Top to bottom readouts - top of storage, mid tank, and the return line right above the tank. (cheap ebay temp monitors only come with 1m cable for the probe so couldn't reach to the bottom of the tank but the return line temp is more relevant information anyway).

The system has been functional for several weeks now and seems to meet the goals I had for it- the heat output is much greater than the Drolet tundra it replaced and the storage is enough to keep the building above freezing for days (dependent on outside temps of course).
The closed loop is low volume so on start up the heat is available quickly to the fan coil when the storage temps are low.

Attachments

• IMG_1810.JPG
    IMG_1810.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_1809.JPG
    IMG_1809.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 139
Reactions: Eureka and Case1030
One more note on the storage HX- a 100k rated American Solartechnics unit from another member here @tom in maine.
After reading about home brew storage HX's here and noting that many used hundreds of feet of copper tubing- I was a bit skeptical when I first layed my eyes upon Tom's HX - I was expecting more tubing for some reason. I am happy to report that it works as advertised.

Attachments

• IMG_1753.JPG
    IMG_1753.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 137
Maybe the increased surface area from using corrugated piping is the secret? Most homebrew HX's I've seen on the internet are smooth copper pipe.

Maybe the increased surface area from using corrugated piping is the secret? Most homebrew HX's I've seen on the internet are smooth copper pipe.
Pretty much my thoughts as well, the corrugation and the fact that the stainless is a thinner wall than typical copper tubing.