Attack DPX35 Setup and install. Dump Zone / Aftercool questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

marcomjl

Aug 2, 2011
CT. Last Green Valley
Hi, I have an Attack DPX35 Profi gassification boiler. I have done research and read/utilizing the Modern Hydronic Heating book as my reference (awesome book highly recommend!). I am currently setting up and installing the system and boiler. I am looking for others input so comments and questions are all welcome.

I did my own sizing the system for heat loads and head.

House is a 1848 historical cape. Basement (boiler/ storage) has insulated walls and concrete floor, 1st floor has been remodeled (insulated walls and air barrier installed), and 2nd floor is not insulated currently awaiting remodel after boiler is setup for 1st floor heating. 2nd floor heating will be setup after remodel.

Boiler is an Attack DPX35 Profi gassifier.
Storage is 450-500 gallons open buffer tank with suspended separate coils I am fabricating.
System is radiant floor 1/2" pex-al 8" OC through heat transfer plates, insulated below for 1st floor. (2nd flr will be above floor with heat plates.) Loops range from 180-240' in length.
4 zones. 1st floor 4 port manifold, 2nd floor 5 port manifold, 3rd and 4th zone will be by themselves 1st flr bathroom and 2nd flr bathroom respectively.
Taco zone valves and controller pushed by a vt2218 taco pump and mixing valve, air scoop.
This is a closed circuit heat exchanger coil suspended in tank.

Boiler heating circuit has a mixing valve to control boiler return water temp at a min 140 (went with a taco 5004 mixing valve instead of the danfos vtc511 unless someone has a reason why I shouldn't). Pump is a 007 taco with a 4900 air seperator.

Questions:
1. For the aftercooling circuit/Dump zone on the boiler to prevent overheating, the manufacture recommends installing a Watts Thermal Safety Valve sts20 to a water line, then to the cooling ports and exit out into I assume a drain. I have heard of many others ideas such as dumping into an existing zone, battery backup, or separate heat exchanger/ dump into storage. I don't like any other those ideas for several reasons and I want something that can actually take care of my boilers full output in case something catastrophic were to occur. With the manufactures recommendation on the water line in and dumping it out, when the thermo valve closes after opening up during overheating, doesn't the water in the cooling circuit remain? If so does it just boil/steam out and leave the cooling circuit empty again?

2. Any one have a alternative to the Watts STS20 thermo valve?

3. For my boiler heating circuit heat exchanger coil, I was thinking of 1" copper coil I would fab up into a suspended coil. I want to keep cost down and haven't found any prebuilt ones that were cost effective. I was thinking of 30' of coil, not sure if that is enough?

4. I haven't been able to find any issues but my boilers CH ports are 2" in size. Going down to 1" from that wont cause any issues? I assume this is normal?

5. On my second floor, the farthest away loop is also the largest run somewhere around 380' if manifold for it is in basement. I was thinking of the 2nd flr manifold on the 2nd flr to reduce the leads for the loops. I was thinking of spliting this loop into two loops but then a bigger manifold, double the longest leads in the entire system it would cost more, double the lead lines I'd have to chase, etc. The manifold relocated this should save me 32' minimum per loop on the other 4 2nd flr runs. To control and adjust flow between the manifolds in different locations I heard globe valves work good? Any ideas and what took look out for with remote manifolds? (I was going to insulate the main lines to and from the manifold. I do have a space in the hall at the top of stairs to have access to it also.)

6. I would like to add a 3rd coil to the storage tank to preheat and take most of the work my electric water heater does currently. Any simple solutions anyone has? I would assume I would need a mixing valve to control the output since the tank will be 140-180 compared to the water heaters 120-130 output?

Random:

-That aftercooling/heat dump design seems to be a Euro thing. My boiler has that, but I didn't use it, and haven't heard of many on here who do. My stubs still have their plastic caps on them. I did heat dump the 'normal' way for this side of the pond - normally open zone valve that opens when the power goes out or when the boiler gets too hot (together with an aquastat for control). Mine is routed to my upstairs baseboard zones. But if I didn't have zones like that to use, I would try to put a big cast iron rad above the boiler (next floor up) & use that. Or if that wouldn't work out, I would hang a bunch of fin tube from the ceiling right above the boiler. (I usually see used stuff around here in the second hand ads). Main thing is it should be directly straight up from the boiler outlet to the dump circuit. Not sure about that 5004 protection valve - but my loading unit is designed to open the return from storage fully on a power outage. So that lets storage act as a heat dump on a power outage also - but that won't work with your coil setup. I think the biggest overheat danger is from a power outage when burning, and not from an overheat during normal operation. As long as the system is otherwise designed/working right. Especially in your case with the coil setup - you need moving water. So I would also consider a UPS for your boiler pump. I also got one of those, used but barely. A 2200va model. I plug my pump into that if I am leaving the house for a while when burning, it will run the circ for long enough for a full load to burn (3-4 hours). Redundancy & backups for your backup is very good for overheat related things. If you did go with the aftercooling/coil setup, when the flow stops, yes what is left will drain/evaporate out - as long as the control valve is between the coil inlet & the water supply, and not on the outlet of the coil, which would be a bad thing. (Also, if you have a well & pump, you will have a very limited supply of cold water). Another overheat tool with storage is time your burns for when you are home & awake. My fires are usually late afternoon into evening - fire is mostly out when I am going to bed.

-Have you checked with forum member Tom In Maine on here re. coils? Those, and open lines storage tanks, are right up his alley, he makes & sells both. Custom made also, I believe. (Company = American Solartechnics). Coil sizing is the one thing you want to be sure as possible to get right, especially on the boiler side - so would be the one main thing to spend money on for pro input. No experience here with coils, but I think 1-1/4" is kind of an 'accepted standard' for boiler return & supply piping for a 40kw size boiler.

-For DHW preheat, I stuffed a couple of coils of 3/4" Pex inside my storage enclosure. You might be able to do the same, inside your tank? That much Pex will cause a bit of a pressure drop in your hot water taps vs. cold, but I think I am the only one here who noticed that. Pex won't transfer as well as copper, of course, but for intermittent types of use, it seems to do quite well.

Status
Not open for further replies.