Attention Sausage Makers! Pork Clearance Sales!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hearth Mistress

Minister of Fire
With New Years here and gone, many grocery store have plenty of pork butts, shoulders, etc and are marking them down! When I bought my rib roast to make for New Year dinner, I made note of the sell by dates of the other bigger cuts. I went back this evening, knowing the sell by date was tomorrow and bought some whole pork shoulder (what is usually cut into the butt and picnic sections) for .75 a pound and a smaller picnic to make Pernil (a tasty puerto Rican pork roast) for .80 a pound. Go get 'em!!! Then post your recipes and photos :)

We've been buying mostly locally raised meat from local butchers and can get great cuts on sale. we love Pork and will certainly try Pernil. Another great latin recipe for pork is Pozole with tomatillos and hominy. Make it with any pork leftovers you can cut into small dice. It would be a good dish for the stove top!

Ehouse

Carnitas!

I really want to start making sausage. I bought the equipment, now I need to find skins at a time I want to make them.

Matt

I have had luck at a local butcher shop but also at a Russian grocery store, they have them right their in the meat case. If I get in a pinch, the butcher at my big chain grocery can order them. I am assuming you want natural casings, not those plastic film tubes. Next time you see them, just buy them. You can store them in salt for a year or two, plenty of resources on line for storing them but kosher salt works the longest for me, just soak them use them when you're ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.