Auber AT210 Wifi Sending Unit Placement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mas956

Oct 1, 2021
Northern CA
I’m planning to add an Auber AT210 combo unit to the install of my PE NEO 2.5 insert happening in February. My spouse would greatly prefer to not see any instrumentation so I’m hoping that I can place the Wifi sending unit within the original firebox to the rear of the insert.

Does anyone know if the sending unit is heat rated for this type of application? I’ve also asked Auberins but have not yet heard back.

A secondary concern would be wifi signal strength. My concern is that the steel surround will act as a faraday cage and block or seriously attenuate the signal causing problems with temp monitoring. Does anyone have any real world experience with this?

That would definitely be a bad idea. It's plastic and electronics don't like high heat. The probe wire is about 5-6ft long. That's all that goes in behind the surround. Put a gnome on the hearth and hide the main unit behind it.

Reactions: MR. GLO
Thanks, begreen. Would the same go for the comparable ThermaQ unit? I like the gnome idea but suspect I would need to abandon remote temp monitoring altogether if it's visible.

Thanks, begreen. Would the same go for the comparable ThermaQ unit? I like the gnome idea but suspect I would need to abandon remote temp monitoring altogether if it's visible.
You can get a really long wire. It’s possible to take the yellow connector off. Phish, pull, hide the wire and the sending unit out of sight. I bet you can get creative. Will your blower wire be visible?

The installer will put a heat-rated receptacle at the back of the firebox. I was hoping to use that for the AT210 but to the earlier comment, I imagine a 12VDC "wall wart" transformer woulfd be susceptible to melting in the ~200 degree F (?) temps behind the insert. A long wire on the sending unit may be the ticket if I can squirrel it waway somewhere.

Thanks!