Auger motor help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mcconnahea19

Hearth Supporter
Jan 5, 2009
NW Ohio
I acquired an older pellet stove that was built in the early 90's. It sat unused for about 6 years. I just installed it in my house and it ran great for about 2 weeks, and the auger stopped turning. to make a long story short, the gear box keeps slipping whenever i have pellets in the hopper. All of the gears have their teeth, but the shaft on the main gear is worn. its an old enough dc motor that I haven't had any luck finding any parts. i think that I am just gonna suck it up and replace the motor and gearbox. however, the motor is an old Fasco DC motor and the stove has a speed control knob for the motor. My question is, where can I find a replacement motor and gearbox for a pellet stove. I like being able to control the speed of the auger and all of the motors i come across are AC and they are fixed speed. If i have to, could I replace the DC motor with an AC motor? If anyone could help, I would really appreciate it.

How about
http://www.merkle-korff.com/

They have to offer something.
Is the main motor shaft making contact with the initial gear ? If the motor has up/down movement, it could just be slipping out of the initial gear. I fixed mine with a washer on the bottom, it keep the motor threads in contact with the initial internal gears. The auger motor on mine is almost verticle, and whatever washer in back wore from the weight of the motor on it. Getting a thin fiber washer on the back keeps it in touch with the first inside gear. Gotta be 6 years on that $.02 repair.

There is good contact between the initial gear and the motor. After further inspection, I found out that the main gear shaft is worn down causing it to lose contact with the other gears. I talked to a local shop that works with motors and gearboxes and he said that it was probably a special size and that would be difficult to find. So....I decided to order a new one from Merkle-Korff. They had a good selection and I found one that was pretty close in its specs. Thanks for the quick help, I will keep you updated

Quality... how old is that motor ?
My Whitfield auger motor is 13 years old.

The motor is the original one that came with the stove and it was manufactured in 1993. So probably 15 years old or so. It sat unused for about 6 years in a garage. I don't know if that had anything to do with it, but im sure that it didn't help.

Status
Not open for further replies.