Auger motor question from newbie pellet stove owner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Thomas Tanczos

Sep 15, 2015
Pennsylvania
Hello Pellet Veterans,

I own the ph35 pleasent hearth and has been my first year owning a pellet stove.

My auger isn't really rotating fully all the way, been noticing the slowing of the rotation. It also starts, feeds pellets for the starter ignition but then it does not keep the pellet stove feeding afterwards. I have cleaned out everything (firepot, auger, pellet hopper, vaccum switch, plates) and noticed that the cotter pin broke, went to the store and found a replacement.

Now here is the question, is there a trick to getting this thing in? I been trying to put where the arrow points but I am unsure if there is something specific I should be using. Also when I put it in, does the cotter pin just go straight through with nothing else to do? I haven't found any website useful in this area.

Is that connection between the motor and the auger suppose to be that greasy?
And can a cotter pin really be the difference between it not feeding after a start?

Thanks in advance for any help
Tom

Attachments

• cotterpin.jpg
    cotterpin.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 796
  • cotterpin2.jpg
    cotterpin2.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 693
Hello Pellet Veterans,

I own the ph35 pleasent hearth and has been my first year owning a pellet stove.

My auger isn't really rotating fully all the way, been noticing the slowing of the rotation. It also starts, feeds pellets for the starter ignition but then it does not keep the pellet stove feeding afterwards. I have cleaned out everything (firepot, auger, pellet hopper, vaccum switch, plates) and noticed that the cotter pin broke, went to the store and found a replacement.

Now here is the question, is there a trick to getting this thing in? I been trying to put where the arrow points but I am unsure if there is something specific I should be using. Also when I put it in, does the cotter pin just go straight through with nothing else to do? I haven't found any website useful in this area.

Is that connection between the motor and the auger suppose to be that greasy?
And can a cotter pin really be the difference between it not feeding after a start?

Thanks in advance for any help
Tom

1. Look at the manual diagram and compare it to your pics. It looks like the plates are against the auger motor and the feed motor hitch pin goes to the outside of the plates. Could be just a bad image in the manual but then again. A pair of needle-nose pliers should do the trick. Yes it just sticks in the hole and locks half way through.
2. I would clean that auger pretty good there appears to be a build up of fines. Some of them may have gotten inside the housing and may cause you issues. Have you tried running the auger while out of the stove to see if it rotates without impingement? Also check for an oil port on the motor. May explain why it looks "greasy".
3. Make sure you find all the broken parts of that feed motor hitch pin. They can really jam things up if not removed.
4. Look over the auger and the area around the auger to make sure the broken pin did not bur up an area causing not to spin without hanging up.
5. The feed could be unrelated to the broken pin and auger. Make sure the hopper switch is working and the lid is closed. Also did you clean out the venting as well? I did not see that mentioned in your post.

F4N8rVZ.png

1. Look at the manual diagram and compare it to your pics. It looks like the plates are against the auger motor and the feed motor hitch pin goes to the outside of the plates. Could be just a bad image in the manual but then again. A pair of needle-nose pliers should do the trick. Yes it just sticks in the hole and locks half way through.
2. I would clean that auger pretty good there appears to be a build up of fines. Some of them may have gotten inside the housing and may cause you issues. Have you tried running the auger while out of the stove to see if it rotates without impingement? Also check for an oil port on the motor. May explain why it looks "greasy".
3. Make sure you find all the broken parts of that feed motor hitch pin. They can really jam things up if not removed.
4. Look over the auger and the area around the auger to make sure the broken pin did not bur up an area causing not to spin without hanging up.
5. The feed could be unrelated to the broken pin and auger. Make sure the hopper switch is working and the lid is closed. Also did you clean out the venting as well? I did not see that mentioned in your post.

View attachment 169772

Thank you so much for your help.

The old cotter pin was really jammed in there and broke, was able to break it all out and get the new cotter pin in.
I cleaned the auger even better, got rid of a lot of the fines.
The oil port on the motor, I did not check.
I ended up putting the auger back in and giving it a start and everything is working fine at the moment.

Thank you again Mralias,

Tom

Reactions: mralias
Hi Tom! It seems I'm having the same exact issue. How did you get the broken cotter pin out of the whole it needs to go back in? Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Your post has helped me greatly , I have been trouble shooting the entire day and to be honest the cotter pin fell out when I took the back off and I didn't think anything of it! But after seeing you're post it is the exact scenario I'm experiencing.
Thanks!
Maria

Hi Tom! It seems I'm having the same exact issue. How did you get the broken cotter pin out of the whole it needs to go back in? Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Your post has helped me greatly , I have been trouble shooting the entire day and to be honest the cotter pin fell out when I took the back off and I didn't think anything of it! But after seeing you're post it is the exact scenario I'm experiencing.
Thanks!
Maria

You could try a new cotter pin and use that to push the old broken one out. A small finishing might work as well.