Auger Motor replacement (Mt. Vernon AE)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Albuquerquedan

Jan 18, 2020
Cedar Crest, NM
Hi gang -- I'm replacing the auger motor on my Quadrafire Mt. Vernon AE. I can't figure out how to get the old motor off the auger assembly. Is there some secret to getting the old motor off? (I feel really silly that I can't figure it out!) Can anyone give me step-by-step instructions?

Thanks so much...

Dan

Remove optical sensor. Then you can see the black collar. There is an allen screw in it. You can turn the auger by hand to get it to top dead center. It is a metric allen wrench. Loosen allen screw and then take other two screws out of auger motor mounting plate and you can pull the auger motor out. Just be careful of the optical sensor wheel with the holes in it. kap

Thanks so much for your reply. I found the allen bolt (I could access it from below, lying down on my back - you really need to be a professional contortionist to get to some of these screws!), loosened it, and the motor popped right out. I really feel like an idiot for not recognizing the motor must have some sort of bolt that holds it in place, but hey, that's how you learn!

I replaced it with a new motor, and it lit right up. Thanks Kappel15!!!!

Next time, pull the auger assy. out. Easier to work on. Stay warm. kap

Next time, pull the auger assy. out. Easier to work on. Stay warm. kap
Any chance you or anyone have some advice on how separate the motor assembly from the auger screw. I pulled the entire auger assembly then removed the set screws on the collar and spindle but can't pull the motor. Any thoughts?
Thanks!

Some are a real B. If you can't get it, you may have to return motor and order whole assy. kap

Sometimes it takes quite a bit of force to separate the two. I had to use a small pry bar on mine. I think that the two set screws deformed the motor shaft just enough to make it bind. BTW, make sure you have all the set screws out - sometimes they are piggybacked two in the same hole.

Any chance you or anyone have some advice on how separate the motor assembly from the auger screw. I pulled the entire auger assembly then removed the set screws on the collar and spindle but can't pull the motor. Any thoughts?
Thanks!
Had the same problem. Ended up getting it out but it took some force and caused damage to the brass washer piece that you can see on the outside of the motor gears