augermotor-keeps on rollin

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigjon

Hearth Supporter
Jan 28, 2009
Easternshore Maryland
I installed a new auger motor, for Whitfield III Advantage 18yr.old. Prior to that a nw circuit board. Wated a week for the auger motor, it works but will not shut off when I push the off button on controll panel, the light will go off bot the motor keeps running.

Any one ever had this problem? Any suggestions on what to do?

birddog88

birddog88 said:
I installed a new auger motor, for Whitfield III Advantage 18yr.old. Prior to that a nw circuit board. Wated a week for the auger motor, it works but will not shut off when I push the off button on controll panel, the light will go off bot the motor keeps running.

Any one ever had this problem? Any suggestions on what to do?

birddog88

I would check the wires and make sure it was wired correctly.

Thanks Rod: I have tried a couple different wiring configurations. I don't want to compromise the controll board as it is brand new. I think I may have the wrong motor, but I was wondering if there was another component that may cause the augar motor not to stop when I press the feed button to off.

Birdog88

Birddog,

as far as I know, auger motors are either on or off....as long as it fit in your stove, and is feeding pellets, I don't think that's your problem.

But I have a question: did you install the new control board BEFORE the auger motor? And if so, did the the old auger motor work correctly with it? Or did you replace them both at the same time?

Just trying to possibly eliminate the auger motor as the problem......

Just installed a new auger motor to my 11 year old whitfield Advantage Plus insert. Ordered the motor on Monday, UPS delivered it the next day.

The dealer advised me that the Whitfield Advantage and the II's and III's all use the same auger motor....there is no difference.

the auger motor is a "dumb" motor , it does not have the capability to shut itself off or determine when it shold run , it runs when provided power and doesnt when it is not provided power, issue is in the board a switch inline, or wiring , its not the motor

MacMan: I appreciate th help. I Replaced the controll board a week prior to the auger motor. The stove ran great for 3 hrs, then shut down-actually the auger motor quit.

I agree the auger motor is a dumb motor, but there is a stop feed button to turn stove off. I also checked the speed of the motor, when increase the feed rate or lower, along with the blower speed, the auger motor stays at the same speed. The controll board was $350.00 and of course no return on electric parts even if it was a lemon.

Thanks again.....if you have any more suggestions our family would warm-up to them.

Birddog

Stoveguy: Thanks for your response. My problem is a dumb auger motor, it will not shut off when I press the stop feed on the board. Also it feeds at only one speed seems like fast.
When I increase the heat out put or decrease the feed rate stays the same. When I replaced the controll board last week, the stove worked fine. Then the wife tells me after 3 hrs. the stove went out.,found out the auger motor quit.

Thanks again.....any more help would be appreciated. Iam trying to avoid buying another board.

Birddog

Hi. I am having the same issue after replacing the fuse in the control panel. Pellets drop at ghigh speed and will not stop after panel shut off....Whitfield Advantage stove....did you have any luck with addressing the issue. Thanks for any suggestions. I pray it is not the the control opanel - spent 500$ on anew one just 4 months ago....

When I see posts like these I am so glad I have an auger timing block ($40.00) controlling my auger motor and not some $300.00 circuit board!

Are you sure you have the right control board, You must order the control board by the S/N of your stove. You can call Lennox For tech support. If your control board part no. is 12055912 it's wrong... This control board is for newer whitfield's. What's your S/N ?

I would also add, All Whitfield's stove use the same augur motor, should be 1 rpm..

Thanks for the quick reply. I should have added....the control panel ( seriel # 25877 - C ) was installed in Oct 08, stove worked great up to about two weeks ago. Heard a loud noise - stove shut down - no power coming from control panel. Had service call at which time it was noted fuse was blown ( wish I had have checked myself first ! ). Service guy installed new fuse and panel lit back up and stove seemed fine. However when I got home from work and started the stove up it would not stop feeding pellets ( at what appears a high rate ) and when the power is shut off on the panel the pellets keep dropping at same high rate. The only change made other than the new fuse was a " bracket " installed around auger motor as service guy thought it could have been hitting something to cause fuse to blow. What I wonder is if damage was done to control panel when fuse blew. Thanks again for any ideas or thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.