Austroflamm Integra Gas Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Elliots

Dec 7, 2018
WA State
Hello everyone, it has been many years since i posted here. Here are my questions: first I found a used Austroflamm Integra Gas Insert, circa 1993. It appears to be in good shape and is a great price. Since it is so old, and i know parts are rare... how hard and expensive would it be to have a professional exchange the internal working... mainly for potential gas leaks things like that.

Second, I have owned these stoves in a different house back in the 90s. That house had a fireplace, which i then had a professional line and connect the stove. The house i am in now does not have a fireplace. I would have to build a box for it to sit in and have it direct vented out the side of the house. Is this even possible. Safety? Heat?

When i had the stoves (pellet and gas) years ago i absolutely loved them. They seemed to be build like tanks and gave off a ton of heat. Is a few hundred bucks a good deal knowing age and what i may (if possible) need to put into it to make sure it is safe?

Thanks for your help.

Elliot

You had better check the installation manual. It may not be permissible to install it in other than a masonry fireplace.

For the amount of money you would spend on a prefab metal fireplace and chimney to install a 26 year old insert into it would be a no brainer to scrap that idea and buy a brand new zero clearance direct vent gas fireplace.

Plus if your state is like MA and requires an approval number you will never be able to get a permit to install this.