Avalon 900 pellet feed questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

killerfiction

Oct 13, 2019
Pinckney, MI
Hi, folks,

After running steadfastly this winter, my 1992 Avalon 900 stove is now struggling with intermittent pellet feed.

The vacuum switch is new this season, snap discs are only 4 years old. I replaced the auger bearings a couple years ago. All exhaust areas are clean and well-maintained.

Motor is recent and operating perfectly when I throw on test leads.

The pellet flow is erratic. I attached a video of the motor in action. Seems to me that the problem would either be mechanical (slippage of the auger on the motor, but the set screws are snug) or electronic (timer blocks or an old and corroded pot on the switch box).

Switch box: Does anyone know the specs for the flow rate potentiometer?

Control box: Is the replacement of the timer blocks a normal part of maintaining these old stoves? If so, where can they be purchased most economically?

Thank you for any intel you can provide.

-T

Attachments

• PC001238.mov
    18.1 MB
The timers and switches will have name of mfgr ans a part number on them somewhere. You can source them on digikey, mouser. Google will give you many options.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Right; I'm way beyond that point, friend. It's a question about that particular potentiometer on that particular stove. There's no markings on it.

I've even called Travis Industries and they don't know what they put in their switch box 28 years ago (or don't care).

Anyway, hoping someone has replaced the flow potentiometer on the switch box on a 1992 Avalon 900 PS.

-T

CRC qd cleaner then use a Dmm and measure it? Or is the track gone? Its old enough it would be wire wound or carbon. I found this don’t know if they are still available

Last edited:
Thanks, Ssyko ... yeah, I've had it out and used the good cleaner on it; track is still there, but sketchy, methinks. I haven't taken it out and tested it as a real tech would; don't really have those skills.

The intermittent delivery of pellets seemed like an electrical/timing problem rather than a mechanical one, until I tried to remove the motor to better look it over and perhaps find a lack of grease/dried grease in the motor gearbox.

It was easier for me to pull out the motor and auger in one move than it was to get the motor off the auger. The lower bearing was binding, so I found one on Grainger and had it here in one day. Right now it's in the freezer until morning ... then I'll heat up the two rings/races that hold the bearing and use the temp diff to make an easier replacement.

We're circling around swapping this stove out for a gas unit this summer ahead of the next heating season. We're also contemplating possible sale of the house, someday, and I have a feeling that having1/2 of the heat in the house coming from something that requires as much attention as does a pellet stove will be a detriment to selling this to a younger (lazier? ...) family.

Thanks again for the replies on here.

-T