Avalon astoria (auger fault code)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

coobie

Jan 20, 2010
southern michigan
Just fired up our 1 year old avalon astoria tonight and keep getting a auger fault code?Any ideas?The owners manual is not much help on trouble shooting.We had the stove cleaned throughly last spring by our stove shop.I guess we will give them a call tomarrow.coobie

Hi Coobie

Which other lights are lit on the Control Panel when the fault light is lit? That will give much more info.

Example:
Fault and Green 2 or Fault and yellow 4 ???

Attachments

• AstoriaFaultLights.jpg
    AstoriaFaultLights.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 1,527
  • TravisNewMaintReqLights1of3.jpg
    TravisNewMaintReqLights1of3.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 1,553
  • TravisNewMaintReqLights2of3.jpg
    TravisNewMaintReqLights2of3.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 1,483
  • TravisNewMaintReqLights3of3.jpg
    TravisNewMaintReqLights3of3.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 1,233
Hello Coobie

Also I have a copy of the Travis Pellet Stove Service Guide. Please PM me with your email address if you would like a copy. It shows how to troubleshoot the Astoria!

Attachments

• TravisPelletStoveServiceGuideFrontCoverPic.jpg
    TravisPelletStoveServiceGuideFrontCoverPic.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 970
Don,just fired it back up and it seems to running OK.Last year at the end of the heating season I think the tube in back was getting plugged up(stove shut itself off a few times).I am wondering now if the guy who cleaned it did maintence on the tube as I told him it might be clogged.I was going to stay around and see what he was going to do(cleaning wise)but my lovley wife had a heart attack a few days prior to the cleaning and I could not be present.I usually do my own stove maintence but wanted my stove shop do this because of warrenty issues.coobie

coobie said:
Don,just fired it back up and it seems to running OK.Last year at the end of the heating season I think the tube in back was getting plugged up(stove shut itself off a few times).I am wondering now if the guy who cleaned it did maintence on the tube as I told him it might be clogged.I was going to stay around and see what he was going to do(cleaning wise)but my lovley wife had a heart attack a few days prior to the cleaning and I could not be present.I usually do my own stove maintence but wanted my stove shop do this because of warrenty issues.coobie

Did you mean the flow switch tube?
I use a pipe cleaner that I got from the local smoke shop to clean mine.

See pic of the Flow switch below.
Actually the other end that goes to the exhaust blower housing is the end that gets dirty and needs the cleaning.
If the stove shuts down with the #2 green flashing light then most likely it is the flow switch issue and you need to take off the tube on the exhaust housing and clean the hole and the tube! Hope this helps?

Attachments

• VacuumOrFlowSwitchLeftSideSC.jpg
    VacuumOrFlowSwitchLeftSideSC.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 899
  • VacuumOrFlowSwitchRightSideSC.jpg
    VacuumOrFlowSwitchRightSideSC.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 840
Hello Frank

Just emailed your Avalon service manual and Wiring Diagram.

Thanks

Nice to have an Astoria buddy.

Don, the stove went into fault auger mode again and the yellow light is flashing.Stove shuts itself off and will not drop any pellets.Any ideas?Thanks,Frank.

coobie said:
Don, the stove went into fault auger mode again and the yellow light is flashing.Stove shuts itself off and will not drop any pellets.Any ideas?Thanks,Frank.

Ok, If that is the Yellow #4 light flashing.

If you did not have a power failure and did not run out of pellets then:

The most likely problem is the Auger Drop Tube is clogged.

There was a Avalon Astoria bulletin to remove that trap door in the Auger Chute. Just remove the phillip Head screw, remove the trap door and leave it off.
Then with a very long screw driver or long metal rod, you must dislodge any stuck pellets around the Auger all the way back in side the chute.

I have done this a few times with a very long screw driver and got enough pellets out to get the stove working. Saves an expensive service call!

If that is the problem then we have to find out why the pellets are getting stuck.
Usually it is because they became damp or wet.

I caused that once by taking out the brick iron backing, washed it real nice but put it back before it was dry!! That is a big no no! do not wash the burn pot area with pellets in the stove! Any dampness will cause the auger to jam with damp pellets.

So check that out and let me know. Good Luck!

Hi Frank

I just emailed you the service bulletin on the Fuel Gate removal. So if the stove shop asks you why you removed it? You can say per manufacturer's recommendation for more reliable operation see this bulletin!!

Also below is a picture of the auger chute. Way in the back is the steel auger that should not have any mushy pellets around it that will look compacted. The pellets should look whole and normal around the auger for proper operation!

Attachments

• AugerChuteSC.jpg
    AugerChuteSC.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 855
Great information Don,thank you.My stove shop is coming next week to look at the stove and see if they can resolve the problem.I am going to let them fix it as of now because it,s under warrenty.I have copied all of the great info you sent me and will keep it on file.Take care,frank.

coobie said:
Great information Don,thank you.My stove shop is coming next week to look at the stove and see if they can resolve the problem.I am going to let them fix it as of now because it,s under warrenty.I have copied all of the great info you sent me and will keep it on file.Take care,frank.

Hello Frank

Good idea especially if they were the last ones to touch it by doing a cleaning!

Good Luck and let us know what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.