Avalon Astoria Door Adjustment

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rfav21

Nov 27, 2014
New Jersey
Hello to all. I have an Avalon Astoria PS. I recently changed the door gasket and am curious if I should have adjusted the door prior to using the stove with the new gasket. The door latches seem to be very tight with the new gasket and on the latch side the door gasket now has an indented shape. The other three sides seem to be ok but after 7 or 8 hours the pellets are filling the fire pot and extinguishing the flame, so I'm thinking that there is still an air leak.
I've cleaned the stove removing baffles, fire brick, exhaust and combustion blowers and blower boxes and cleaned the exhaust but the pellets keep piling up. Also, I've cleaned behind the refractory as well. To me,
the issue is either the door needs adjustment and or another door gasket. I've read the Avalon Astoria manual and the door adjustment procedure is kind of clear, however I'm not entirely sure if after replacing the door gasket its standard to readjust the door. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Hi Rfav21 what is your exhaust vent configuration. Is there a screen at the rain cap?

When i did my gasket i had to do it twice. i got it to thick at the lock side and not thick enough at the hinge side. you can collapse and expand the rope to make it thicker and thinner. I bought a new gasket and did a better test fit before gluing using a pc of paper. Could have reused the old gasket but had cut it to short to get the proper seal.
If your able to adjust door you may be able to tighten up on hinge side if you test it and find its not tight

Hi Rfav21 what is your exhaust vent configuration. Is there a screen at the rain cap?

Hi Ssyko,

There is a rain cap however there is not a screen on it. The exhaust pipe
goes straight through the outside wall and has a rain cap about 18 inches
from the wall flange.

When i did my gasket i had to do it twice. i got it to thick at the lock side and not thick enough at the hinge side. you can collapse and expand the rope to make it thicker and thinner. I bought a new gasket and did a better test fit before gluing using a pc of paper. Could have reused the old gasket but had cut it to short to get the proper seal.
If your able to adjust door you may be able to tighten up on hinge side if you test it and find its not tight

Hi zrock,

I actually didn't think of making the door gasket thinner before cementing it in position. It's definitely
possible that the gasket was too heavy on that side, I pretty much removed it from the package and
laid it in place.

lol same thing i did the first round.. Didn't actually notice it until that night when i could see light around the door.

Reactions: rfav21