Avalon Astoria Fault Light

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LuAnnM

Dec 9, 2008
Northern NY
:coolsmile: I once again need all of your advise. My Avalon Astoria worked great all winter, after you all helped with my air flow problem. Now I have a new problem. The stove starts fine, then the fault light comes on (fault low), and sometimes smoke starts coming into the house. I shut off (or unplug) plug back in and sometimes it starts working again, sometimes it faults out again. I clean weekly , but there seems to be more ash than normal. Also my exhaust goes straight out the wall, does not go up.. and I live in a windy area, could this be the problem?

Anyway, I will be calling for service, but thought you all may have an idea.

Thanks!

1. When was the last time the exhaust pipe was cleaned out.
2. Make sure the vacuum line in the back (clear hose) is not plugged. You may have to remove the exhaust motor to clean where the vacuum line attaches.
3. Do like I did and go to walmart and get a leaf blower this one http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8342676 .
4. Once you get the blower do not attach the blower nozzle but do attach the first section of the vacuum tube. Once this is done slide the vacuum tube over the exhaust and turn the blower on this should clean 95% of the exhaust out.

Also look at this thread, you can see a picture of what I mean but he left the blower tip on which you should leave off for maximum air flow.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/37285/

first thing you should do is clean out your pipe, and exhaust cavities inside the stove, and try again. There is a built in timer that will allow these stoves to start up, but if it does not have a sufficient draft or temp after the start cycle, it will shut down.
If it continues to persist after a complete cleaning of all components, check your draft switch (a round disk looking thing with a neprene tube coming off it) and make sure everything is connected and the tube is clean. A check w/ a multimeter should tell you if that thing is operating if you can get continuity through the circuit with the exhaust fan running (be sure to unplug the leads before you check for continuity!)
next thing to check would be your low limit switch, which is usually located on or near your exhause blower housing. It is an oval disk w/ two wires. there should be one or two similar disks on the stove at the back of the firebox, and on the hopper. The one at the exhaust housing lets the stove know if sufficient temp is being reached. disconnect the leads, remove the disk, and put your multimeter probes on the terminals. when the disk is at room temp, you should have no continuity, but within a minute of holding the flat side of the disk to a match or lighter, it should snap (hence the name snap disk) and you should have continuity untill it cools off. If that checks out, try the other disk on the firebox or hopper. this one works in reverse of the low limit switch. at room temp, it should be a closed circuit and have continuity, but when heated, it snaps open (letting the stove know there is an overheat situation) and signals a shutdown.
Anyone of these could be the issue, but cleanliness should be check first and foremost, especially in the ipes and other not normally cleaned and hard to reach areas.

Thanks for the info. Is this normal to have to clean all of these places? When I purchased the stove I was advised to complete the weekly cleaning and have a yearly maintaince completed by my local Avalon dealer. Or did something go wrong. I only burned 2 ton of pellets this year.

Thanks guys!

LuAnn

LuAnnM said:
Thanks for the info. Is this normal to have to clean all of these places? When I purchased the stove I was advised to complete the weekly cleaning and have a yearly maintaince completed by my local Avalon dealer. Or did something go wrong. I only burned 2 ton of pellets this year.

Thanks guys!

LuAnn

I have the same stove you do, and I know the manual says to clean after every 2 tons, but if you want the stove at it's best, you should do a complete cleaning of the stove & pipe after every ton of pellets. 80% of pellet stove problems are due to a dirty stove.

This is discouraging, I can handle the leaf blower hook up to my exhaust pipe, but tearing down the stove to get way inside is not what I planned on... I would have bought a wood stove instead if I new it was going to take this much maintance. I do not mind the weekly cleaning, but I know nothing about meters, etc....

:down: (very sad)

LuAnnM said:
This is discouraging, I can handle the leaf blower hook up to my exhaust pipe, but tearing down the stove to get way inside is not what I planned on... I would have bought a wood stove instead if I new it was going to take this much maintance. I do not mind the weekly cleaning, but I know nothing about meters, etc....

:down: (very sad)

Wut?

Hello

The Fault Lights have been changed to Maintenance Required lights on the new Travis Control boards!!

Therefore the old LED light under the "Auger On" LED light that was labeled "FAULT" is now labeled "Maint. Required"

So the new boards show user problems and fixes instead of failed parts.

Which light do you have on your Avalon Astoria Stove? If you have the old FAULT light then maybe a new control board would help alot because NO meters needed to troubleshoot!

See the difference in the pics below. The first pic shows the old control board fault light

Attachments

• TravisOldFaultLights.jpg
    TravisOldFaultLights.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 532
  • TravisNewMaintReqLights1of3.jpg
    TravisNewMaintReqLights1of3.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 534
  • TravisNewMaintReqLights2of3.jpg
    TravisNewMaintReqLights2of3.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 528
  • TravisNewMaintReqLights3of3.jpg
    TravisNewMaintReqLights3of3.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 461
I just went though this with my lopi Leyden same stove. bottom fault light and #2 flashing light is flow switch issue. If facing the stove right side cover on the stove remove the three screws for the cover , you should see a clear tube attached to a brass barb fitting. Pull the tube off and take a 1/2 or 10mm wrench and take the brass fitting out chances are it is plugged with ash blow the fitting out or use a pipe cleaner to clean it out. While at it take the three nuts off the cleanout cover of the exhaust blower and clean that too. Where the brass fitting screws in make sure to clean the shelf inside the blower that is supposed to protect it from getting plugged. reassamble and fire it back up. Just remember to unplugg the stove before doing any work on it. I found this to be a common issue. I cleaned the fitting out in the fspring and on less than s ton it was plugged again. I think it is the quality off the pellets these days.
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.