Avalon Newport Convection Fan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

carlton1964

Feb 1, 2021
Buffalo
I am lost! Started my stove....start up was normal, convection fan ran for 10 mins that stopped blowing. Exhaust fan still working...and auger feeding. Just no convection. I removed fan...made a cord and powered it up. It ran smoothly and was quiet. Re-installed fan. Start up was fine but convection fan never came on. I than bought both snap discs and installed them. Still no convection fan. I jumped the wires at the ceramic POF snap and still convection did not come on. Am I missing something? Could the convection fan have intermittently worked when I had it out? Should I pull it out and power it again? I am at a loss. Not sure this matters...but stove is Avalon Newport bought in 2001

Last edited:
The control board may have a failed component (triac) and is not sending power to the motor

I just put a volt meter on wires at combustion fan. 115V , this seems to point to the fan to me, but I tested the fan when I had it out and it ran. Think I should test fan again? If it was control panel I would not have voltage at fan....correct? Or am I missing something

Out of curiosity, when was the last time you cleaned and oiled the convection fan or have you ever? Just because it runs jumped with line voltage don't mean it will start and run with reduced voltage.

Push comes to shove and the board is wonky, jump the fan to line voltage while waiting for a new board.

Reactions: Ssyko
Well...I never oiled it in 20 yrs....jusr used forced air to clean. BUT since post Imeasured voltage to fan. It was 115v when set to high but fan did NOT turn on. I removed fan and did my direct power again...nothing. Pretty sure it is the fan now. Not sure why it worked with the direct AC power before....but dead as hell now...just hums and wants to kinda start to turn.

I did clean good and there is power at motor....motor is shot I think

Actually, the motor is probably fine, the dry bearings are impeding the motor to the point where it won't rotate anymore.....

Bearing are dry as a popcorn fart and after 20 years, probably shot too. New fan time. You might try oiling the old ones, it may work, may not. If it has skate bearings, just pop the outer (or inner) seal off with a pointed object (like a pocket knife point or scriber and oil them and replace the cover. You should do that every spring when you blow it out. You got your money's worth at 20 years. Same applies to the combustion air fan.

I have around 20 years on my motors but they get oiled every spring, work like new, no noise, quiet as a mouse. My feed auger motors get oiled as well. and the gearboxes greased but that is for another time.

I take mine COMPLETELY APART every spring and clean and oil every component, clean the convection and combustion fan, vacuum out the combustion fan plenum and clean the venting plus I apply Stabil fogging oil to the interior of the firebox before the warm weather sleep. On mine, the auger motors have oil ports, make it easy. You only need to lube the outer bearing on the auger motors, the inner motor bearing is the gearbox bearing and it's running in the grease in the reduction gearbox.

Keep in mind that all the rotating components in ANY stove are running in an adverse atmosphere. it's hot, dry and dusty under the panels. Not an atmosphere conducive to longevity. They all need regular lubrication, or they fail.

Don't ever foresee replacing any drive motors ever, because they get the proper care and feeding, every spring.

Supposed to get NASTY here in the next few days as in very cold and windy. Like below 0(f) during the night with barely above 0 during the day. Prime time for a good operating stove, I'd say.